Official BYC Poll: What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

• Breeding

Votes: 236 67.6%
  • Flock Protection

Votes: 252 72.2%
  • Showmanship

Votes: 37 10.6%
  • Harmony

Votes: 87 24.9%
  • Finding Treats for the Hens

Votes: 77 22.1%
  • As a Pet

Votes: 170 48.7%
  • For Exercise (by trying to catch them while they're roaming)

Votes: 19 5.4%
  • Alarm Clock

Votes: 47 13.5%
  • For Meat

Votes: 86 24.6%
  • Cheap Entertainment

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Yard Ornaments

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 26 7.4%

• Total voters
One of the guys at work brought a rooster and let it loose on the plant site. Given we are pretty much situated in the middle of a forest, it is not too bad. The thing actually was not that bad, the guy who turned him loose said he was attacking you as you walked out the door, well he behaved at the plant. Eventually someone snatched him up and took him home for their flock, was worried the bird would start pooping on cars or something. With 100 acres or so, I didn't see that as a problem but he's in a good home now. The biggest problem we had with him was he'd want to roost in the garage at night, and sit at the top of the stairwell, and when you opened the door to come out of the shop, it'd bump him, startle him, and you too and well...you get the idea.

Aaron
He was the night watchman for the plant? What did you pay him?

I actually loathe roosters. I can’t even describe my loathing of them. I cannot stand their raping behaviour, the constant attitudes, and the crowing. We have a guard goose who protects our girls better than any rooster we have ever had, including the three (will only be one this spring) who think they’re “all that”.

Despite my dislike of roosters, I do like the fluffy babies that hatch when we did an incubation one time. They are also tasty. Oh. And we have a hen who likes roosters way too much, if you get what I mean.

P.S. I promise I’m not attacking anyone who likes roosters. ❤️

The rooster I have at the moment in a black sex link. He waits outside in the summer when the hens are free ranging and he will not go inside till the last hen has gone in.....I have seen him go around the yard looking for a hen that has not gone inside yet.(5 +acre ) he is a very good protector.
You have a very good boy there! Hopefully he’s sweet to you too.

There are a lot of different opinions on roosters. Some people hate them and think them the devil, some think that they're unintelligent, yet roosters can be really fun to be around and form an integral part of any flock. People keep them for a variety of reasons - do you?

What do you use your rooster/s for? Place your votes above (you may select more than one)

Feel free to share any other reasons you keep roosters in the comments section below.

View attachment 2527064

Further Reading:

Understanding Your Rooster
Common Rooster Myths
Methods For Dealing With Roosters

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
So far my rooster is doing well. I have 1 rooster and 12 hens. That seems to be a good ratio. The best thing about him is he gets the hens to go into the coop early at night. Good fir me especially in the winter.

View attachment 2536579
He is kept for breeding. Has unique genetics....lavender & autosexing. Some of his sickles drag on the ground. Sweet temperament. It's also nice that he is so handsome, but wouldn't say a yard ornament.
Looks a bit like my Hamilton.
A9CBF21E-4954-4689-A22E-287B5ABD836B.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom