Official BYC Poll: What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

• Breeding

Votes: 197 68.4%
  • Flock Protection

Votes: 202 70.1%
  • Showmanship

Votes: 27 9.4%
  • Harmony

Votes: 70 24.3%
  • Finding Treats for the Hens

Votes: 61 21.2%
  • As a Pet

Votes: 138 47.9%
  • For Exercise (by trying to catch them while they're roaming)

Votes: 12 4.2%
  • Alarm Clock

Votes: 33 11.5%
  • For Meat

Votes: 68 23.6%
  • Cheap Entertainment

Votes: 100 34.7%
  • Yard Ornaments

Votes: 107 37.2%
  • Other (please elaborate in the comments section below)

Votes: 22 7.6%

• Total voters

FrancesR

Chirping
11 Years
Jan 16, 2010
Hawi
I keep one rooster only. If the day comes when I can't buy just-hatched chicks from the mainland, then I'm going to have to breed my girls. We already can't bring ducklings from the mainland anymore, thanks to DLNR's ruling.

BecaHawaii

In the Brooder
Premium Feather Member
Jun 29, 2020
Kalaoa, HI - Big Island
There are a lot of different opinions on roosters. Some people hate them and think them the devil, some think that they're unintelligent, yet roosters can be really fun to be around and form an integral part of any flock. People keep them for a variety of reasons - do you?

What do you use your rooster/s for? Place your votes above (you may select more than one)

Feel free to share any other reasons you keep roosters in the comments section below.

View attachment 2527064

Further Reading:

Understanding Your Rooster
Common Rooster Myths
Methods For Dealing With Roosters

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
There are a lot of different opinions on roosters. Some people hate them and think them the devil, some think that they're unintelligent, yet roosters can be really fun to be around and form an integral part of any flock. People keep them for a variety of reasons - do you?

What do you use your rooster/s for? Place your votes above (you may select more than one)

Feel free to share any other reasons you keep roosters in the comments section below.

View attachment 2527064

Further Reading:

Understanding Your Rooster
Common Rooster Myths
Methods For Dealing With Roosters

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I absolutely love my Roosters! I have three. One in the coop. Two outside. As we all know the have different personalities. Dirk protects the ladies. Wilson brings them bugs and whatever from the outside world (Jungle Fowl are the best at this). Tex is a bit of a jerk but he keeps the free range ladies in line and also makes sure the yard and forest is safe. He's the first to sound the alarm. Either by chuffing or another alert. Wilson picks up from there then Dirk and the whole yard is a crazy chicken chours. They are better than dogs in daylight. Nighttime we are on our own. Unless it's a coop disturbance. Wilson & Tex are 25 feet up in bamboo.

Top Bottom