Official BYC Poll: What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

What Do You Use Your Rooster/s For?

• Breeding

Votes: 236 67.6%
  • Flock Protection

Votes: 252 72.2%
  • Showmanship

Votes: 37 10.6%
  • Harmony

Votes: 87 24.9%
  • Finding Treats for the Hens

Votes: 77 22.1%
  • As a Pet

Votes: 170 48.7%
  • For Exercise (by trying to catch them while they're roaming)

Votes: 19 5.4%
  • Alarm Clock

Votes: 47 13.5%
  • For Meat

Votes: 86 24.6%
  • Cheap Entertainment

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Yard Ornaments

Votes: 128 36.7%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 26 7.4%

• Total voters
I keep one rooster only. If the day comes when I can't buy just-hatched chicks from the mainland, then I'm going to have to breed my girls. We already can't bring ducklings from the mainland anymore, thanks to DLNR's ruling.

There are a lot of different opinions on roosters. Some people hate them and think them the devil, some think that they're unintelligent, yet roosters can be really fun to be around and form an integral part of any flock. People keep them for a variety of reasons - do you?

What do you use your rooster/s for? Place your votes above (you may select more than one)

Feel free to share any other reasons you keep roosters in the comments section below.

View attachment 2527064

Further Reading:

Understanding Your Rooster
Common Rooster Myths
Methods For Dealing With Roosters

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
There are a lot of different opinions on roosters. Some people hate them and think them the devil, some think that they're unintelligent, yet roosters can be really fun to be around and form an integral part of any flock. People keep them for a variety of reasons - do you?

What do you use your rooster/s for? Place your votes above (you may select more than one)

Feel free to share any other reasons you keep roosters in the comments section below.

View attachment 2527064

Further Reading:

Understanding Your Rooster
Common Rooster Myths
Methods For Dealing With Roosters

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I absolutely love my Roosters! I have three. One in the coop. Two outside. As we all know the have different personalities. Dirk protects the ladies. Wilson brings them bugs and whatever from the outside world (Jungle Fowl are the best at this). Tex is a bit of a jerk but he keeps the free range ladies in line and also makes sure the yard and forest is safe. He's the first to sound the alarm. Either by chuffing or another alert. Wilson picks up from there then Dirk and the whole yard is a crazy chicken chours. They are better than dogs in daylight. Nighttime we are on our own. Unless it's a coop disturbance. Wilson & Tex are 25 feet up in bamboo.

My flock free ranges over about 5 acres, our two roosters are worth their weight in gold as far as protection goes. I have learned so much about the dynamics of the flock by watching how the roosters and hens interact. Our lead rooster keeps the hens together as they move along, sometimes he is in the rear moving the flock forward, sometimes he plays follow the leader. Both roosters give calls when overhead prey are near, and the hens dash into the shrubs. They also seem to work with my husband as he has the bird scaring pop gun. We are all a team.
I have to sell a couple for meat, and pets. When my first hatch was 4 roosters and 1 hen.

I help out on a farm on the weekends when I am not working and they have a rooster there. He's pretty good, noisy of course but keeps the ladies in check and lets us know if something is amiss.

He will let me pet him somewhat, gets kind of 'guarded' when I ruffle them or pick them up, I introduced 4 very young RIR's to the small flock and they all took to each other very nicely and he's very protective of them, so that's good too. One of the other roosters which is no longer around went at me once earlier, I smacked the snot out of it, and it never did that again. I think he seen that and does not give me any grief but Ive seen him scuffle with others a bit.

You never hear people talk about it because the nut jobs would go crazy but just like with children, a good spanking can work wonders when they are misbehaving :p

The thing is, there are children there too sometimes, it's a farm / nursery (plant nursery) and im trying to get ALL of them a bit more used to people, and nicer so that they don't go after any kids and the water works start if they are free ranging around. All in a days work heh

Aaron

Would love to know how you keep roosters from becoming mean after they hit puberty. I have hand raised many chickens from day old chicks but usually I have to put the roosters down as they start attacking people shortly after they hit puberty. I have 2 gorgeous golden roosters (Buff Orpingtons) they are 10 months old and are striking at me from behind my back or if I lean over to pick up a feeder or waterer. I have tried to swoop my leg out and move them away but they keep coming back on attack. I hate to have to take a broom or stick just to do chores. Any ideas?

Would love to know how you keep roosters from becoming mean after they hit puberty. I have hand raised many chickens from day old chicks but usually I have to put the roosters down as they start attacking people shortly after they hit puberty. I have 2 gorgeous golden roosters (Buff Orpingtons) they are 10 months old and are striking at me from behind my back or if I lean over to pick up a feeder or waterer. I have tried to swoop my leg out and move them away but they keep coming back on attack. I hate to have to take a broom or stick just to do chores. Any ideas?
I usually find mine cool down a few months after puberty. Around 7-9months. If it’s all from eggs hatched from your flock and they stay mean it could be bad genetics. I only have one that can be aggressive right now. I usually just pick him up and carry him around while I do chores. He’s surprising tolerant of being hauled around but if I leave him lose occasionally he tries to spur me.:rolleyes:. I have knee high rain boots that I wear and that helps some since he doesn’t kick very high. I’ve also found that some roosters really hate red and pink colors.

The plan is to use roosters we get for breeding and protection (We currently have several chickens that are a few months old that I haven't been able to sex yet). And if we have too many, they will go to freezer camp. I am very hesitant because growing up as a kid, our roosters were always aggressive and attacked me at every opportunity. But I am hopeful that I will have a few that will be amiable.

I love having roosters, and keep two for each breeding group. Right now I've cut down to only two breeding groups, and have three roosters total. In two weeks more straight run chicks are arriving, and I'll be keeping a couple of likely boys from the newbies.
Besides breeding, flock dynamics, entertainment, predator alerts, and their good looks.
Jerks go to the freezer, extra cockerels move on elsewhere, and the keepers have to agree to get along with each other.
Can't imagine not having rooster in our flock!
Mary

Mine are for breeding then after the seasons done they get processed like i sold off my mottled split hens and gonna be eating the male as he flogged me today so he has no hens now and he has no purpose so gonna be dinner i process any young cockerels at 8-11 weeks works great for air fying

Back
Top Bottom