Official BYC Poll: What Do Your Chickens Live In?

What Do Your Chickens Live In?

• Coop Only

Votes: 4 0.8%
  • Coop + Open space / free-range / no fencing

Votes: 50 9.5%
  • Coop + Entire fenced backyard / area

Votes: 75 14.3%
  • Coop + Enclosed Run

Votes: 139 26.5%
  • Coop + Enclosed Run + Access to yard

Votes: 241 46.0%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 15 2.9%

• Total voters
Pics
My 7 bantam chickens have a coop with 2 sleeping compartments and a roofed small run in between (this run is always accessible)
+ Enclosed Run with netting on top they can go to after sunrise through an automatic pop door,
+ Access to the backyard without fencing, a few hours each day (if possible).

So when they are free ranging they can go everywhere in the neighbourhood in theory. But In general they stay in our garden or a piece of city-ā€˜wild-landā€™ behind our garden or the garden of one neighbour who likes it when our chickens pay him a visit. The other close by neighbours have dogs and cats they donā€™t like.

Attachments

• 33D8CF3F-3CF9-4FA3-AB35-DD2797F3905E.jpeg
    33D8CF3F-3CF9-4FA3-AB35-DD2797F3905E.jpeg
    123.9 KB · Views: 9
My rooster, Mr. Brownie, lives in my room. I rescued him 2 years ago from a farm and since then he has been living with us in our home. He sleeps in my room, beside my bed and throughout the day plays around in the house.

He dust bathes in the patches of sunlight that come through the windows. Brownie owns a red blanket that he absolutely adores and we use it as pseudo soil for him to take the dust bath on.

20200131_144048.jpg

Coop + Enclosed Run + 2 acres of woods and paddocks
My flock likes to follow my donkeys around. If the donkeys head out to pasture they'll go there too. But mostly they stay in the woods and the paddocks. Love seeing the jennies walk down the hillside with twelve chickens in tow!

Coop, net covered run and free range. The coop was build on a old 5th wheel trailer frame that's 25' long. The covered run is approximately 1,500 sq. ft. with from 8' to 5' of head room. And one 8'x2' stock tank for the 'Duck pond'.

Back
Top Bottom