Official BYC Poll: What Heat Lamp Setup Do You Use?

What Heat Lamp Setup Do You Use?

• Red

Votes: 119 49.4%
  • Clear

Votes: 21 8.7%
  • Ceramic Emitter

Votes: 34 14.1%
  • 50 Watt

Votes: 6 2.5%
  • 60 Watt

Votes: 8 3.3%
  • 75 Watt

Votes: 11 4.6%
  • 100 Watt

Votes: 30 12.4%
  • 250 Watt

Votes: 50 20.7%
  • I don't use heat lamps

Votes: 73 30.3%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 32 13.3%

• Total voters
I use 2 100 watt ceramic heat emitters. I have 75 and 50 watt versions, and as they get older, and weather gets warmer, I use lower power heaters. I use 2 in case one fails. I hang them with a chain, and that way I can make adjustments in the temp under them based on how the birds are acting. If it is very cold at night, I put a milk house heater in the shed I use for brooding, I have a thermostat I plug it into so it kicks on at 50 degrees. That way the hanging heaters do not get too cold under them. The heat is at one end of the 6' brooder area.

We had the heat bulb too close to the water. The duckies were splashing water EVERYWHERE and it was getting on the lamp. Also may have been something to do with the bulb voltage being too high for the lamp we bought, but my boyfriend can speak to that better than I.
Water splashing on a hot bulb will shatter it.

Yes! We learned that the hard way. Luckily none of the ducks were injured, but we'd had enough of heat bulbs by the time the second one broke haha.
The food and water in the brooder set-up I use are at the far end, ~5' from the heat. The ceramic heaters would have the same reaction to being splashed with cold duck water!

Back
Top Bottom