Official BYC Poll: What Is Your Least Favorite Thing About Keeping Chickens?

What is your least favorite thing about keeping chickens?

• Cleaning out poopy bedding.

Votes: 141 31.4%
  • Preventing picking and overcrowding.

Votes: 37 8.2%
  • Keeping one step ahead of predators

Votes: 77 17.1%
  • Coping with illness/parasites.

Votes: 187 41.6%
  • Refreshing & refilling the feed and water.

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • Closing your flock up at night and letting them out in the morning.

Votes: 25 5.6%
  • Dealing with aggressive roosters

Votes: 44 9.8%
  • Nothing! I love everything about it.

Votes: 28 6.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 65 14.5%
  • Dealing with death in the flock

Votes: 188 41.9%

• Total voters
Pics
It’s a toss up between deaths in the flock and poop. I never had to do laundry so much before getting chickens. Especially when I was having to catch them to separate into different pens every morning. It’s about to be winter and that means that to run won’t dry out properly until about next May if last winter is anything to go by.

It's the flower-bed-magnet! No matter how many acres they have to free range on they head straight for the flower beds and tear them up like a demolition team. Or they head to the yard and scratch in the grass until it looks like a rototiller has been through. If I had the ability to speak just one time to animals it would be to tell my girls, "I'll let you free range every day all day if you'd just stay out of the flower beds and stop tearing up the lawn!"

Death of a bird is the worst! My least favorite is finding an chicken with an illness and can’t get them treatment in time before they die.😢 Or I think they are doing better and I’ve saved them from illness only to find them dead in the coop in the morning. 😢 Or even worse, a predator gets to one and they are so injured you have to put them down. 😩😓😢

Back
Top Bottom