Official BYC Poll: What Is Your Least Favorite Thing About Keeping Chickens?

What is your least favorite thing about keeping chickens?

• Cleaning out poopy bedding.

Votes: 142 31.6%
  • Preventing picking and overcrowding.

Votes: 37 8.2%
  • Keeping one step ahead of predators

Votes: 77 17.1%
  • Coping with illness/parasites.

Votes: 187 41.6%
  • Refreshing & refilling the feed and water.

Votes: 31 6.9%
  • Closing your flock up at night and letting them out in the morning.

Votes: 25 5.6%
  • Dealing with aggressive roosters

Votes: 44 9.8%
  • Nothing! I love everything about it.

Votes: 28 6.2%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 66 14.7%
  • Dealing with death in the flock

Votes: 188 41.8%

• Total voters
After one rooster got killed, I trapped 2 raccoons, 389DE768-E252-47A7-AF05-A28A25BE98E2.jpeg and my daughter said she just saw 5 more crossing the road after sunrise. I am seriously considering not keeping chickens any more.

I came up with this new verse to the old Joni Mitchell song,
Both Sides Now:
šŸŽµ
Rows of fluffy clucking hens
And baby chicks to show your friends
And piles of fresh eggs without end....
Iā€™ve looked at chickens that way.

But now they only make me frown
They brood, they fight,
Thereā€™s a raccoon around,
And more and more they tie me down
Theyā€™re often in the way...

Iā€™ve looked at chickens from both sides now
From up and down, but still somehow
Itā€™s chicken illusions I recall....
I really donā€™t know chickens, at all......
šŸ“šŸ™ƒ

I came up with this new verse to the old Joni Mitchell song,
Both Sides Now:
šŸŽµ
Rows of fluffy clucking hens
And baby chicks to show your friends
And piles of fresh eggs without end....
Iā€™ve looked at chickens that way.

But now they only make me frown
They brood, they fight,
Thereā€™s a raccoon around,
And more and more they tie me down
Theyā€™re often in the way...

Iā€™ve looked at chickens from both sides now
From up and down, but still somehow
Itā€™s chicken illusions I recall....
I really donā€™t know chickens, at all......
šŸ“šŸ™ƒ
Well done, you! This was one of my favorite songs from that era. :clap

Although cleaning up poo and coops isn't the funniest thing, my LEAST favorite thing about keeping chickens is having a limit on how many I can keep!

It's not that I can't keep more on our 15 acres, it's just that I know I'll have to add more coops and having more than 100-120 chickens seems overwhelming... it's so hard not to keep chicks or introduce new breeds! Lol
Agree, knowing when you need more coop or run space available is stressful especially when it creeps up on you and the spaces havenā€™t yet been builtā€¦ being a single female I need to plan and verify I can have the man power to help build and get it completed.

I think truly my least favorite thing is dealing with illness and death. I hate seeing them be in any sort of pain and I hate not knowing how to fix it.

On a lighter note, cleaning the coop is terrible lol. Replenishing and cleaning waterers is not too fun in the winter either. Still worth it for the joy of keeping chickens, though I'm not sure my poor frozen hands share that opinion. šŸ˜‚

I think truly my least favorite thing is dealing with illness and death. I hate seeing them be in any sort of pain and I hate not knowing how to fix it.

On a lighter note, cleaning the coop is terrible lol. Replenishing and cleaning waterers is not too fun in the winter either. Still worth it for the joy of keeping chickens, though I'm not sure my poor frozen hands share that opinion. šŸ˜‚
Agree. Although cleaning is a lot easier now that I have remodeled the interior and actually have poop boards under the roosts! Whose idea was poop boards? Give that person a raise. A raise AND A medal. And a piece of pie! :clap

There needs to be another voting option ... Limits! My personal pet peeve, st least at the moment, is the ordinance-imposed limit on how large my flock can be. I understand it ... sortof ... It's suppsoed to keep overall numbers down so there isn't a mess or smell, but I have VERY small bantams. A dozen of my liddle-biddies don't come close to matching the volume/mass/mess/noise of even five standards!

Back
Top Bottom