Official BYC Poll: What Kind Of Relationship Do Your Dogs & Chickens Have?

What Kind Of Relationship Do Your Dogs & Chickens Have?

• My dog would never hurt the chickens

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • My dog actively protects the chickens from predators

Votes: 73 22.3%
  • My dog is too old to chase chickens

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • I'm not sure whether my dog would hurt the chickens

Votes: 26 7.9%
  • My dog gets excited around chickens, so I don't let him/her near them

Votes: 39 11.9%
  • I'm training my dog to ignore them, but we're not there yet

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • I'm training my dog to protect them, but we're not there yet

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • My dog would harm the chickens if he could

Votes: 58 17.7%
  • I don't have any dogs

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 57 17.4%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Thousands of people love dogs. Thousands of people love chickens. And, thousands of people wonder how they can make their two loves get along with one another and live together in peace. So in this poll, we would like to find out: What Kind Of Relationship Do Your Dogs & Chickens Have?

Please place your vote above, and elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

official byc poll (8).png

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

I have a 14 year old Schnoodle. About 9 years ago, he was sniffing at one of my Australorp pullets, and she decided she had enough of him. She pecked him HARD square on top of his head. He has never since tried to get within a foot of a chicken. He protects them, though. The second he senses a squirrel or possum, he bolts over and trees it.

I also had a Black Copper Marans pullet that hatched with some neuro issues about 6 years ago. She was sweet as can be, just... not quite right. She ADORED my dog. We have a pic somewhere of the two of them sunbathing together. When we moved, we had to give her away, and it broke my heart.

I have a 14 year old Schnoodle. About 9 years ago, he was sniffing at one of my Australorp pullets, and she decided she had enough of him. She pecked him HARD square on top of his head. He has never since tried to get within a foot of a chicken. He protects them, though. The second he senses a squirrel or possum, he bolts over and trees it.

I also had a Black Copper Marans pullet that hatched with some neuro issues about 6 years ago. She was sweet as can be, just... not quite right. She ADORED my dog. We have a pic somewhere of the two of them sunbathing together. When we moved, we had to give her away, and it broke my heart.

Great stuff! I especially like the pecked once and won't go near them again. That little Silkie in the photo above had spent so much time around the cat that the cat got much closer to her about a week ago.
The chick put a solid peck on the cat's face, but the cat swatted her back with an open paw. It happened in a second, and was over with. They both know now that the other doesn't so much want a lovey-dovey relationship, but rather a little more "distant" friendship... :)

I expected my boxer/Shitzu/poodle mix to ignore the chickens because she ignores the wild ducks and ducklings that hang out by the irrigation ditch. However, she was obsessed with the chickens the first couple of weeks! She could see them through the fence, but had no access. They basically ignored her, probably because they grew up with a couple of Aussies. Now, the hens are old news, and she ignores them. She's a good girl and minds pretty well, but I have no plans to further the relationship!
Here she is after an encounter with a red pen. 😝
20170516_153507.jpg

I marked both "I'm not sure whether my dog would hurt the chickens" and "My dog would harm the chickens if he could" as I have 3 dogs.

One would absolutely jump on them and crush them if she could get to them.

The second doesn't seem interested at all (so "not sure"), however she also wasn't interested in rabbits either and then chased down and killed a juvenile rabbit, so I don't know how long her disinterest would last if they were right in front of her.

The third is "fence friends" with the chickens and if he was a solo dog, I would probably try letting him spend time with them. However as I haven't tried it he's in the "not sure" category. The chickens love to follow him around the fence and he sniffs at them when they come up to him.

I don't have my boy anymore (passed away at the end of January due to cancer, at the age of 11), but he became my LGD, by natural instincts. He was already 2 years old when I got my first birds (my avatar is my first flock of chicks). If the birds got out in the yard, he would herd them back into their run, but never hurt them. If I needed to do anything in their coop, he would come into the coop with me, and sniff around, watch the birds, but never do anything to them. If I needed to catch a bird who got out, they would hole up in the bushes, I'd send him in to spook the bird out of hiding so I could catch them. He'd never nip at them, never bite them, but just nudge them out of hiding. We became a pretty good team at catching the birds. If they were out in the yard, just hanging, though, he'd ignore them, but look at me as if to say, they're out, Mom, are we going to catch them. Most of the time I could catch them on my own, but there was always a stubborn one, and that's when Brute and I would tag-team them. Last time that happened, hubby ended up being the tag-team member with me, and that didn't work so well, so I MISS Brute!

Thousands of people love dogs. Thousands of people love chickens. And, thousands of people wonder how they can make their two loves get along with one another and live together in peace. So in this poll, we would like to find out: What Kind Of Relationship Do Your Dogs & Chickens Have?

Please place your vote above, and elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

View attachment 2802503

Further Reading:
(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Attachments

• 44B960CA-59B4-42F4-A612-2F8BB8311FF7.jpeg
    44B960CA-59B4-42F4-A612-2F8BB8311FF7.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 65

Back
Top Bottom