Official BYC Poll: What Kind Of Relationship Do Your Dogs & Chickens Have?

What Kind Of Relationship Do Your Dogs & Chickens Have?

• My dog would never hurt the chickens

Votes: 116 35.4%
  • My dog actively protects the chickens from predators

Votes: 73 22.3%
  • My dog is too old to chase chickens

Votes: 17 5.2%
  • I'm not sure whether my dog would hurt the chickens

Votes: 26 7.9%
  • My dog gets excited around chickens, so I don't let him/her near them

Votes: 39 11.9%
  • I'm training my dog to ignore them, but we're not there yet

Votes: 36 11.0%
  • I'm training my dog to protect them, but we're not there yet

Votes: 14 4.3%
  • My dog would harm the chickens if he could

Votes: 58 17.7%
  • I don't have any dogs

Votes: 35 10.7%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 57 17.4%

• Total voters
Pics
We have 3 dogs. 2 rat terriers and the boy is pretty afraid of the chickens, Penny has claimed them as her babies from the day we got them. Although most are far bigger than her now at 44 weeks old but she still likes to hang out with them. We have an old blind Queenslands heeler and he isn’t sure what they are but he knows they’re there so whenever he happens upon his squishy football he drops in on his side of their gate and woofs waiting for someone to throw it for him. I’ve tried to explain things to him but I don’t think he believes me. I don’t think he’d hurt them but with his blindness making him nervous I won’t risk it. As they say, even a blind squirrel gets a nut now and then. And I don’t want a chicken to be his “nut”
We do have a neighbor kitty who has adopted us and our chickens. She sleeps in the empty coop at night, keeps my rodents from becoming an issue (except the ground squirrels but that’s another story) and she doesn’t chase my girls or try to get them. She’ll just sit very still and let them check her out and if they get too rowdy she gets up on the fence. She likes them very much. The people who had her before had chickens so I know she’s used to them. But when she wasn’ta baby anymore she became an outside kitty and it gets a bit cold here in the winter at night. We got a bale of straw for the bottom of the empty coop so she could stay warm and she is content to sleep there at night. She’s warm, dry and yes I talked to the people across the street who she belongs to and I put food out for her too. I can’t watch an animal be cold or hungry.

My dogs did kill one of my chickens. The grandkids started chasing the chickens the dogs followed it up by catching one. I wasn't home at the time and had no idea. I got home no sooner sat on the couch and my dog came in to set my favorite chicken at my feet. I don't know if it was a present or she wanted me to fix her. After the dogs saw my reaction they won't look at the chickens wrong. The chickens chase them around now.

My dogs and chickens have a "interesting relationship". History, I have two Malshi dogs, both are sisters and are named Nelly and Rosie, great dogs overall and super cute. When I first got my chickens I brought them home I was extremely nervous about my dogs and having the worst thoughts about them harming the chickens, because I've seen how they chase rabbits, and other rodents. When I brought them home I put the chickens in the run and the dogs were immediately intrigued. They never barked at the birds but would follow them from the outside of the run and would sniff them. The week goes on and the dogs would sit outside just watching the chickens. Eventually that stopped and they got used to them. Slowly I started introducing them closer, Rosie was fine with them, actually a little scared. Nelly on the other hand was too hyper and this irritated the chickens. My Maran Francine the "lead hen" started puffing out her chest and neck to make herself look big. One day I see my mom running holding Nelly because Francine was charging at her, and followed my mom up to the door. Since that, nothing major my chickens haven't been affected by my dogs and my dogs are used to them. However, I do get nervous with Nelly and the chickens. Rosie on the other hand is fine and I feel secure about her being around the chickens. My dogs half Maltese genes kicked it 😅 https://farmhouseguide.com/dog-breeds-that-get-along-with-chickens/

Back
Top Bottom