Official BYC Poll: What Kind of Roost(s) Do You Have Installed?

What Kind of Roost(s) Do You Have Installed?

• PVC Pipe

Votes: 5 1.2%
  • Branch(es)

Votes: 154 36.6%
  • Wooden Dowel Rod

Votes: 36 8.6%
  • Processed Wood with Rounded Corners

Votes: 51 12.1%
  • 2x4" Construction wood wide edge up

Votes: 210 49.9%
  • 2x4" Construction wood narrow edge up

Votes: 70 16.6%
  • Pre-made Plastic Roost Bars

Votes: 3 0.7%
  • None

Votes: 6 1.4%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 55 13.1%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Lots of humans overlook the importance of roosts (aka perches), but chickens don't. The natural way for a chicken to sleep is by sitting on a roost. Nope, they don't like beds or the ground. Only hens with chicks, injured chickens, and sometimes silkies (if they can't reach the roost) will sleep on the ground. In the wild, a flock of chickens tries to get as high off the ground as they can at night, most often in the branches of a tree. They do this to help them stay safe from land predators. Moral: please provide your chickens roosts to sleep on!

What kind of roost(s) do you have installed?

Multiple answers are possible and please tell us if you did anything to prevent foot or mite problems /show us your roost with a picture down in the comments section.

official byc poll (23).png

Here are some interesting reads:

If you are wondering what roost shapes other keepers of chickens use, check out this thread:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...osts-do-you-use-in-your-chicken-coop.1403365/

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

I have construction wood roosts with rounded corners. And several branches in the run where they do not sleep. Underneath are poop trays.

The construction wood is about 2.2 x 3.3 cm ( 1 x 1.5”) because 2 of these came with the prefab coop when I bought it. I made 2 of about the same size when I made an extension to the coop.

The size is good for my tiny Dutch chickens. But it would be too small for large bantams or normal sized chickens.
This is what other chicken keepers told me was okay. :
1614339145475.jpeg

Last edited:
I have construction wood roosts with rounded corners. And several branches in the run where they do not sleep. Underneath are poop trays.

The construction wood is about 2.2 x 3.3 cm ( 1 x 1.5”) because 2 of these came with the prefab coop when I bought it. I made 2 of about the same size when I made an extension to the coop.

The size is good for my tiny Dutch chickens. But it would be too small for large bantams or normal sized chickens.
This is what other chicken keepers told me was okay. :
View attachment 2545760
I love that drawing. It makes it look like the chicken is wearing gloves and frilly sleeves, ready for a 1950's dinner party.

It's not rocket surgery.
:gig

The first thing I read on roosts when hubby was building the coop was 2x4, narrow side up, sand down the corners. So that's what we did. I have seen my chickens settle down on it, and couldn't see their toes, so I know they're covered. Had some pretty cold mornings, including -8, and no problems with frostbitten feet.

Back
Top Bottom