Official BYC Poll: What type of COOP bedding do you like best?

Which type of COOP bedding do you like best?

• Total voters
Pics
It’s a mineral that you can get at Tractor Supply - sometimes called Stall Fresh or something like that - people use it in horse stalls. But it or safe for chickens and works well on poop boards under roosts.
Thank you my friend! I have found out what it was though. I put all my search and destroy mission skills to work and localized the target. I know that sounds really Corny. I did a search on it finally and found out last week. But thank you very much for telling me anyway. I don’t have any yet but in a few days when my coop is complete I plan to put some into action. We have a local TSC store which is very good where I live and another place that sell high volume Farm and Ranch like a big box store called Scruggs and we also have a really good feed store for smaller items and bedding. So I surely can find a solution there comparable.
Thank you for all your lists and I am going to keep them. I screen shoted them all so I could try all as needed. Thank you!

Sorry “IT IS is safe for chickens”
ADBDF770-FF66-4D56-9CE7-23938822C461.jpeg

I have a wood floor covered in a thick linoleum so I answered “other”. In the winter I add pine shavings (change it out as necessary) so the floor isn’t so cold. In the warmer months I don’t cover the linoleum with anything. So easy to clean!
Do you mind hanging your vote? I am adding linoleum now.

I use a TARP under roosts, simply pull out and tip into compost pile. Cheaper then buying bedding in the long run... $4 for tarp I can reuse for years. I just wash down with a hose every now and again. I scoop poop daily so no build up.
I use STRAW for nest boxes.
I use bbq MATS in covered coop area over the dirt, I can easily lift out to clean or sweep or hose down when needed. They also have a sand/dirt/ash dust bath in that area.
Run is GRASS mostly with patches of DIRT.

I like straw because it works best on my hardware cloth floors. I also found out I like saw dust on solid wood floors. I had a couple tons of Saw Dust that was free from some wood mill and that happens to be my favorite price. If its dry and its carbon its good enough for me.

Back
Top Bottom