Official BYC Poll: What type of COOP bedding do you like best?

Which type of COOP bedding do you like best?

• Total voters
Pics
My "other" vote is sweet pdz. There are other brands of the same mineral, so if you want to make an option of it, you could call it by the name of the mineral... i read about poop boards and it sounded great. But in application, my coop is so small, i decided it made more sense to put it all over the floor. I have hay in the nest box, and on one spot where my hen jumps down to the floor. My coop is my poop board. It smells good. And it's easy to clean.

My other, temporary coop, on the other hand smells awful. I have dirt, hay, and weedings from the garden on the floor.of the run. The "coop" if it can be called such, is basically a rabbit cage. Wire floor. Those 2 hens smell. Not as bad as when I got them, but I'm hesitant to put them in my regular coop and mess up the good thing I have going.

My other, temporary coop, on the other hand smells awful. I have dirt, hay, and weedings from the garden on the floor.of the run. The "coop" if it can be called such, is basically a rabbit cage. Wire floor. Those 2 hens smell. Not as bad as when I got them, but I'm hesitant to put them in my regular coop and mess up the good thing I have going.
I does this other coop get wet by rain?

I clean it out multiple times a day, but it's still gross. It's a bad setup, but i think these hens just smell worse than my first one. I'm not sure why.

Attachments

• 20200615_194022.jpg
    20200615_194022.jpg
    663.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 20200615_194135.jpg
    20200615_194135.jpg
    525.4 KB · Views: 4
My real coop is great. The run is dirt, (no roof) but it doesn't generally stink either. I gather poo regularly (2-3 times a week) and stick it in a bucket for putting inside the compost pile. It's not real-world, though. Because there's 1 hen in it. The dirt is mostly covered with yard debris. Cuttings, weedings. My hen rototills it and I take it out after a month or so for the garden.

Back
Top Bottom