Official BYC Poll: What type of COOP bedding do you like best?

Which type of COOP bedding do you like best?

• Total voters
20200828_125611.jpg

Two new Hoop Coops going up next to the old 20 x 20 chain linked dog kennel where my first babies reside.

At this time of the year: lots of leaves in the larger run with netting and under the roosts. + hay and wood chips in the laying nests + sand in the roof covered run.

leaves make great compost!

I use wood shaving in the coop and love it. The floor stays dry and odor free. After a year of use it was still in pretty good shape, but I removed it to use it in the compost pile. With my former coop I used straw and was disappointed at how often it needed to be changed. In the run I mainly use leaves love them, but they really need to be refreshed now that the snow melted and spring rain has started. I keep putting straw in the egg nest area to keep the eggs clean, but the girls keep scratching out. Grrrr

I use wood shaving in the coop and love it. The floor stays dry and odor free. After a year of use it was still in pretty good shape, but I removed it to use it in the compost pile. With my former coop I used straw and was disappointed at how often it needed to be changed. In the run I mainly use leaves love them, but they really need to be refreshed now that the snow melted and spring rain has started. I keep putting straw in the egg nest area to keep the eggs clean, but the girls keep scratching out. Grrrr
What about trying the nest pads made out of straw material. I bought those and they stay put

I had the same issue. Try using pine shavings in the nests and add a bigger lip.

Back
Top Bottom