Official BYC Poll: What type of COOP bedding do you like best?

Which type of COOP bedding do you like best?

• Total voters
Pics
There's a few of us wanting to buy it (yes it's a bagged product being marketed for animal use) but finding it seems to be the tough part.

Yes you could go to Starbucks and hope to get a big bag of used grounds but 1) I at least have a hard time actually finding a Starbucks bin that hasn't been stripped bare and 2) I'd need to figure out a way to dry them out, as coffee grounds can get moldy.
The using the coffee grounds ...for some reason I just don’t get it. It sounds sort it f purposeless. They seem too fine to absorb much poop and I am not a real coffee fan and grounds smell even worse they me so mixed with chicken - - - -. Wow what a great aroma first thing in the morning. I would hate to have morning sickness and have to do coop chores. Not good! That is just my personal take on it.

There's a few of us wanting to buy it (yes it's a bagged product being marketed for animal use) but finding it seems to be the tough part.

Yes you could go to Starbucks and hope to get a big bag of used grounds but 1) I at least have a hard time actually finding a Starbucks bin that hasn't been stripped bare and 2) I'd need to figure out a way to dry them out, as coffee grounds can get moldy.
Could you spread the grounds on a cookie sheet and put them in the oven to dry? Imagine the smell in the house!!

Am guessing the manufacturer underestimated and/or overreached the market and now can't supply. I really don't see the function, tho I do understand the attraction, I love coffee and the way it smells.

Yeah who uses coffee grounds? Do the birds eat them?

I use them. The brand is Grounds, I think, but I got it from Tractor Supply. The bags are big and 1 bag spreads over 24 sq ft. I got my bags for $8 each, I spread two in my coop a couple of months ago and haven’t needed to replenish. I scoop the poo every morning. My chickens don’t eat it, but the grounds are decaf. They were afraid to walk on it at first and had to be helped on and off their roosts bc they’re silly!

I use them. The brand is Grounds, I think, but I got it from Tractor Supply. The bags are big and 1 bag spreads over 24 sq ft. I got my bags for $8 each, I spread two in my coop a couple of months ago and haven’t needed to replenish. I scoop the poo every morning. My chickens don’t eat it, but the grounds are decaf. They were afraid to walk on it at first and had to be helped on and off their roosts bc they’re silly!
Quick question, does your coop smell wonderful?

The using the coffee grounds ...for some reason I just don’t get it. It sounds sort it f purposeless. They seem too fine to absorb much poop and I am not a real coffee fan and grounds smell even worse they me so mixed with chicken - - - -. Wow what a great aroma first thing in the morning. I would hate to have morning sickness and have to do coop chores. Not good! That is just my personal take on it.

For me they’re great. I used to use sand in the coop, but hated the dust. Grounds have no dust and I like the smell. It just smells like coffee, not a poop/coffee combo. I scoop every morning and grounds makes it easy.

Back
Top Bottom