Official BYC Poll: What type of incubator do you use?

What type of incubator do you use?

• Total voters
Do you incubate eggs?

I have a Lyon Turn X It is easy to use, has a clear top so you can watch them hatch and the chick can stay in the incubator without getting its feet caught to dry off. And it recovers quickly if you open it to remove a chick. The temperature is very steady. It's my favorite. It is possible to set it up for auto turning but I prefer manual. The only down side is there is a limit in the number of eggs you can incubate at one time. I also have a Lyon Roll X which holds many more eggs. Mine is manual turning. The egg is turned by pulling the grid back and forth (the turn X rolls them from side to side in a circle motion). It is fine for chicken eggs but I didn't have good luck with turkey eggs in either system. In the Roll X when the bird hatches their feet get tangled in the grid and if you open it to rescue the bird it cools off too much harming the other eggs. So check that out in all that you consider. Can the chick stay safely in the system till time to remove it, does it recover quickly so the other eggs are unaffected by removing a bird. Hatching chickens is pretty forgiving. Other kinds of birds like the turkeys can require greater control of humidity temperature or whatever. I have the best luck letting the turkeys hatch their own eggs. I have hatched cockatoo eggs in the Turn X and other kinds of birds. Honestly I wish I had my money back on the Roll X. The Turn X is my go-to.

Picked other, I have a still air little giant that I modified and added a digital temp controller, computer fan and egg turner to

I have a Brinsea mini advanced 2. I only occasionally incubate eggs and when I do, I don’t do a bunch of eggs, so it’s the perfect size for me. I love that it has a clear lid all the way around so I can watch the whole hatching process!

Do you incubate eggs?

Please select an option or two on the poll above and comment below on what brand and model too, if store bought.

If you choose other please tell me exactly what kind you use and I will add it as an option.

View attachment 2326527

While you're at it why not show off your skills by entering our 2020 Home-Made Feeder, Waterer, Incubator, & Brooder Contest - And Win A Brand New Brinsea Brooder!

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)
I use a incubator from a friend

I use the much maligned Farm Innovator, model 4250 pro series digital incubator. I have replaced half of the (chicken) rails with quail rails so I don't have to swap rails in and out repeatedly, as I found the process of changing the rails tedious.
I have found the precise make and model on amazon website at https://www.amazon.com/Farm-Innovators-4250-Circulated-Incubator/dp/B00TTYLIKY (I am not sponsored on this link).

I have never had a problem with this incubator, despite mountains of bad reviews.
I do not add water when incubating as I live in an exceptionally high humidity area. Although the incubator will report the humidity level, you cannot regulate the humidity in any way other than to add (or remove) water from the machine.
It comes standard with a removable, slotted, easy to clean plastic floor to eliminate the possibility of a chick falling into the water below and drowning.

This 40w unit uses about $5 worth of electricity during the months when I incubate. Electricity is expensive where I live, so if you live in the States or other First-World nation, it's likely that you wouldn't even notice the extra electric usage.

Just an update: I use this incubator with automatic egg turner monthly to incubate both quail and chicken eggs and it's still functioning properly.

Back
Top Bottom