Official BYC Poll: Which aspect of keeping chickens do you enjoy the most?

Which aspect of keeping chickens do you enjoy the most?

• Total voters
They are great fun, and they can fill your life with purpose and joy. One thing that I have found, is that the overall experience of raising chickens... it's wholesome. While it does have its struggles now and then, the general outlook on tending them is pleasant. It makes me feel good to go out and clean up after them, to watch them and collect eggs. They fill up a lot of time and space that would otherwise be empty.

Also, chickens are good for conversation topics!

Everyone looks at me like a nutbag when I talk about my chickens...but I guess the shoe fits. I like keeping chickens because it's easier than having more babies and honestly less cleaning than dogs. The chicks grow fast so they have relatively no time for the newness of babies to get old. The excitement of watching them hatch is immeasurable. Always having a broiler in the freezer is the best feeling in the world, especially knowing where it came from, as well as the fresh, fertile, and colorful eggs. There's no downside to having birds, other than my significant other sometimes thinks I love them more than I love him (which is soooooooo not true. So not true ;))

@3KillerBs
@ChickenLove0812
@cherrynberry

Can you tell me what your other is so I can add it as an option, please?
I like how chickens are so cute and unlike other pets or animals they have a lot more personality. To me, they make more sounds and whenever I feed them treats one chicken would take it and run like they never ran before. And although all golden comets have about the same overall color who can disagree that they have their own personality!?

I picked eating eggs, hatching eggs, and entertainment.
These are all things I already get to enjoy with my guineas and look forward to enjoying with my chickens.
Right now only one hen is laying eggs and my only rooster is only 4wks old. We are a long way away from hatching chicken eggs, but it will be fun when I finally can!

My birds are a source of entertainment but also kinda therapeutic. It’s very relaxing to sit and spend time with them.

my significant other sometimes thinks I love them more than I love him (which is soooooooo not true.
Well, he can rest assured. He's not the one in the freezer🍗. He wins the contest 👍👍

My birds are a source of entertainment but also kinda therapeutic. It’s very relaxing to sit and spend time with them.

I definitely agree

I enjoy eating the fresh eggs from my hens, and receiving compliments from my friends and family that I sell eggs to. I've also donated eggs to a homeless shelter, and it is nice to know that my hobby can be used to help people.
I also like hatching eggs from my flock because it is so cool to see what the mix breeds will look like.
I voted "other" because raising chickens is a wonderful hobby that gives me something fun and meaningful to do.

Here are mine:
kiki poll.png

I fell into having chickens when I found one in my pool one day. I'd never touched one before. She lived as a singleton for a year or so & then became broody, so I bought her 2 chicks. Now I have the 3 girls and I love them & their eggs. I foresee me always having chickens from now on. They're entertaining, give me a purpose & feed me too - trifecta!!

Back
Top Bottom