Official BYC Poll - Which Breed Characteristics/Traits are the Most Important to You?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by sumi, Mar 29, 2018.

1. Egg production

115 vote(s)
    55.0%
  2. Climate hardiness (Can withstand very hot/cold conditions)

92 vote(s)
    44.0%
  3. Temperament

154 vote(s)
    73.7%
  4. Dual purpose (Good egg laying and good meat bird)

36 vote(s)
    17.2%
  5. Broodiness - Good mother/setter

24 vote(s)
    11.5%
  6. Aesthetics / Looks

77 vote(s)
    36.8%
  7. Good free ranging/foraging abilities

58 vote(s)
    27.8%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    We each have our own list of traits we would like in our chickens and choose breeds accordingly. Whether it's good egg production, or eye candy, we'd like to know which characteristics/traits are the most important to you when selecting breeds. You can choose up to 3 choices from the poll options. (If your criteria is not listed in the poll options, please reply to the thread and tell us what it is)

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Waiting on a Fresh Garden Salad

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I choose for looks, temperament, and foraging abilities. I like my birds to get out and hustle up their own grub, and to keep bugs under control.

3. sumi

sumi Égalité

Jun 28, 2011
    Tipperary, Ireland
    Thank you! I added that option to the poll choices.

4. ashlandco

ashlandco Songster

Mar 31, 2017
    I chose egg production (that’s why I have them) foraging abilities, and broodiness because I want to hatch baby chicks but don’t buy an incubator:lau

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    For me, temperament is the most important. A calm docile bird is usually most adaptable to the back yard environment. Now a bird raised on farm and can free range, I want one that is alert, active, and smart enough to get out of harm's way and find food. In either case, I don't want an human-aggressive chicken.

6. m1chelle1

m1chelle1 Songster

Jan 12, 2017
    The Great PNW
    I chose Temperament, free ranging, and dual purpose. That last one was kinda tied with egg production. Eggs are not my #1 concern, personally, right now. I get enough from the chickens I have, and that is good enough for me :wee:wee

7. Kessel23

Kessel23 Hi Bug

Feb 6, 2018
    Hi Hannah
    I pick birds that are good foragers, can withstand the cold and the heat, can go broody, and I also like breeds that can fly. The last one is just because I like to see chickens fly, looks funny.
    If I had to rank them from most important to least I would say:
    1. Good Foragers
    2. Weather tolerant
    3. Broodiness
    4. Looks
    5. Egg production
    6. Temperament
    7. Dual Purpose

8. Wickedchicken6

Wickedchicken6 No Rest for the Wicked

Nov 7, 2015
    Southwestern MB, Canada
    I pick replacement stock on an entire variety of traits.
    • Correct conformation
    • Temperament
    • Hardiness (not just temperature climes but the ability to be robust under less than ideal conditions)
    • Excellent free-ranging capabilities
    • Easy keeping (as in gaining/doing well on less feed etc.)
    All of the above have to be stellar or I'm not going to get a chance to select for egg laying traits or those below.
    • Duel purpose
    • Egg laying
    • Longevity in life and in laying capability
    • Aesthetics
    • Broodiness AND mothering ability. Because some hens can be excellent setters but are not good mother material.
    I select my birds on the merits of the entire list above. I feel the entire list is key to producing the birds I desire. It will take longer to achieve the entire list, but it will be well worth the extra time.

*Broodiness is the only trait that is not as key in some of my birds because I have too many that are extreme broodies already. I'd like to temper the extreme broodies I have to a less broody (As in less amount of times to go broody) but still retain the excellent mothering qualities.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2018
  9. I would have chosen "looks" except for me that means coloring that makes good camouflage for the birds, not necessarily "pretty" birds. But really, temperament, foraging ability and weather tolerance are my top 3.

10. Joeschooks

Joeschooks Just clucking around

Feb 7, 2018
    Hampshire, UK
    My Coop
    I choose for egg production, looks and temperament in that order :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: