Official BYC Poll: Which Challenges Did You Face in Getting Backyard Chickens?

Which Challenges Did You Face in Getting Backyard Chickens?

• Building/buying the coop

Votes: 103 47.2%
  • Arranging a secure run

Votes: 91 41.7%
  • Limiting myself to only a small number of birds and breeds

Votes: 82 37.6%
  • Picking out the best breed for me

Votes: 32 14.7%
  • Hatching enough females

Votes: 20 9.2%
  • Finding the best place to buy sexed chickens

Votes: 42 19.3%
  • Convincing my significant other

Votes: 47 21.6%
  • No hurdles; it was easy

Votes: 37 17.0%
  • I had to change the laws in my area

Votes: 7 3.2%
  • I’m still not there, yet

Votes: 5 2.3%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 23 10.6%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Whether you want to raise chickens for your own eggs or your own meat, you want to be self-sufficient. You have done your research on basic chicken care. When it came to getting chickens, what are the biggest challenges you encountered?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

official BYC Poll (16).png

Further Reading:
(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

A nasty neighbor discovered a gray area in the zoning law that didn't strictly define the laws around chicken-keeping, and he tried to exploit that to get the town to take my chickens away. After a prolonged battle that turned ugly, the town took my side and rewrote the laws to make it explicitly clear that chickens are not to be regulated. I haven't heard from that neighbor since (knock on wood... I still have PTSD and am too afraid to celebrate, because you never know with people like that). That's it though, everything else has been smooth sailing.

My main problem is currently convincing my mum to let me have a rooster. Also, to convince my dad to let me breed some more ducks. Other than that, they both like eggs and chook/duck for dinner so it’s not overly difficult. The main problem with the ducks is I’m having trouble getting people to buy them. Hopefully this round I’ll get some more interested. I’ve already had someone thinking about getting some.

A nasty neighbor discovered a gray area in the zoning law that didn't strictly define the laws around chicken-keeping, and he tried to exploit that to get the town to take my chickens away. After a prolonged battle that turned ugly, the town took my side and rewrote the laws to make it explicitly clear that chickens are not to be regulated. I haven't heard from that neighbor since (knock on wood... I still have PTSD and am too afraid to celebrate, because you never know with people like that). That's it though, everything else has been smooth sailing.
I'm sorry you have to deal with a nasty neighbor. Maybe they'll move soon. I was lucky with my next door neighbor. The town ordinance dictates that the coop and run have to be 10 feet from the property line. When the animal control officer came to inspect my coop before I was granted a license the neighbor cae over and told the officer that he was happy that I had my coop and run behind my garage close enough to his back porch so he and his wife could sit on their porch and see and hear my hens. I got my license and the coop is only 4 feet from the property line! My neighbors are out every morning and eat their breakfast on the porch on nice days when I go out to let my girls out into their run. they say they love to see how goofy the birds are when they get a little running room and love to hear the egg song. Of course I share extra eggs with them often.

Which city was that in? I am a Russian speaker too. :)

Other -- We needed to get our housing and employment situation into a position where I wasn't working long hours and we weren't in the middle of trying to move.

Other -- the price of lumber while building the new coop.

Other -- finding the breeds we wanted when I couldn't order them but, instead, had to buy locally.

Back
Top Bottom