Official BYC Poll: Which of These Breeds Is Your Favourite?

Which of these breeds is your favourite?

• Total voters
While I don't keep them now, I chose Orpingtons. They are lovely, calm and broody. I don't keep any now because I wanted to explore and breed colored egg layers and there aren't enough hours in the day for more breeds right now. The only breed I currently keep that is listed is Marans but I can't say they are my favorite. Maybe one day they will be.

I chose Plymouth Rock, because so far, mine has a calm personality and no health issues. As others have mentioned, Leghorns have FANTASTIC personalities, in my opinion. Very alert, but also super friendly. I did not vote for them because as high production breeds, I find them prone to reproductive issues. Poor babies!

I have had 9 of the breeds on the list, but probably wouldn't choose them again, only because I have found others I prefer. For example, I dearly love Sebrights, which are very popular, but not on the list. They have a lot of personality and spunk and are cute as the dickens.
sebright (3 of 1).jpg

I don’t have any of the breeds mentioned. And of course you can only make a shortlist. That’s why I have a Request. @BantyChooks Can ou add other or not on this list ?

Edit: I have only Dutch bantams and naine de Tournaisis and one mix breed. Hard to choose. It would be easier to choose individuals. And for me character is just as, or maybe even more important, as looks.
+ Dutch: more tame, good broodies/mothers, curious characters.
+ Tournaisis and mix: better layers, no broodies, strange characters, 2 of them are beauties.
Next year plan: Cochin bantams.
Unfortunately, adding options after the fact has a tendency to skew the data. :(
This poll was intended to display preferences between a very limited number of breeds, not so much to give a holistic view of the entire chicken-keeping world; hence, in an effort to get more specific data, I didn't add "other" at the time the poll was created. Dutch bantams are absolutely beautiful! Maybe some day there'll be a way to create a mega-poll and add as many breeds as one can think of.

I chose d’uccles because they’re surprisingly fun. I have one that’s bonded to my little silkie pullet and while the silkie is, well, a silkie, sweet as pie but not all there upstairs, the d’uccle is the brains of that operation and ensures the silkie gets food, water, and goes to bed before dark. 🤣 they both like to come sit up on my arm or my shoulder and hang out for a while too. :)

Back
Top Bottom