Official BYC Poll - Which type of waterers do you like best and why?

Which type of waterers do you like best and why?

• Horizontal Nipple Waterers

Votes: 42 20.7%
  • Vertical Nipple Waterers

Votes: 18 8.9%
  • Cup Nipple Waterers

Votes: 15 7.4%
  • Plain Cup Waterers

Votes: 12 5.9%
  • Poultry Fountains

Votes: 24 11.8%
  • Gravity-fed Waterers

Votes: 38 18.7%
  • Automatic Waterers

Votes: 11 5.4%
  • Bowls

Votes: 21 10.3%
  • Buckets

Votes: 16 7.9%
  • Other

Votes: 6 3.0%

• Total voters

BYC Project Manager

Crowing
BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
Feb 22, 2009
Chickens drink a surprising amount of water, with laying hens needing more water than non-laying hens. Therefore, it’s vitally important that chickens are given access to water whenever they need.

So when it comes to your backyard flock: Which type of waterers do you like best? Tell us why in the comments section below.

OFFICIAL BYC POLL (10).png

Here are some top-rated waterers from Amazon:

By the way, don't forget to enter our 2020 Home-Made Feeder, Waterer, Incubator, & Brooder Contest

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited:

MrFluffyandGirls

Songster
Dec 30, 2018
SC, Low Country
I use simple large stainless steel dog bowls that has a non-slip rubber bottom. I have it raised sitting on a block of cement so they can't scratch water dirt and bedding into it. I only keep a small flock of 12 or less so it works for me. It makes dealing with algae growth easier by simply swirling a scrub brush with a little anti-bacterial dish soap around and rinsing out.

Sally PB

Songster
Premium Feather Member
Aug 7, 2020
Belding, MI
Following this with interest. I haven't tried horizontal nipples yet. Everything else I've tried has issues with getting dirt/bedding scratched into it, or dribbling and making a mess. (Grrr, vertical nipples, thinking of you!) It's getting colder now, and I *might* have electricity in the coop/run, but not sure. The horizontal cup nipples got just as much dirt scratched in as an of the open style ones.

Ms Clucky

Songster
Jan 22, 2019
Salem, Illinois
Following this with interest. I haven't tried horizontal nipples yet. Everything else I've tried has issues with getting dirt/bedding scratched into it, or dribbling and making a mess. (Grrr, vertical nipples, thinking of you!) It's getting colder now, and I *might* have electricity in the coop/run, but not sure. The horizontal cup nipples got just as much dirt scratched in as an of the open style ones.
I put the plastic one on bricks to raise it up a little so the chickens don't scratch dirt in them as much.

Top Bottom