Official BYC Poll: Which type of waterers do you like best and why?

Which type of waterers do you like best and why?

• Horizontal Nipple Waterers

Votes: 62 21.4%
  • Vertical Nipple Waterers

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • Cup Nipple Waterers

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Plain Cup Waterers

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • Poultry Fountains

Votes: 33 11.4%
  • Gravity-fed Waterers

Votes: 65 22.4%
  • Automatic Waterers

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • Bowls

Votes: 31 10.7%
  • Buckets

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 9 3.1%

• Total voters
I’ve tried a couple different water systems.
-Horizontal nipples - work great, but had to hang pretty high in order for the girls to drink comfortably. Was a little messy, especially when it sprung a leak.
-Fountain waterer - was supposed to replace the leaking one above, but the bowl got disgusting very quickly and was hard for me to handle. I actually have a scar on my hand the last time I tried to fill and hang it.
**-Cup nipples - little red cups with yellow nipple inside. It took them a while to get the hang of it, but once they did it’s been great. I can hang just high enough to keep the crap out and they can drink to their little hearts content. I have a flat bucket type because I’m short on space in all directions, which is why hanging height matters to me.
It’s also very easy to clean, fill, and hang back up. I’m injury free with this one! :)

Attachments

• 751E130C-ACBD-4DFA-993A-0D5CFB515DDC.jpeg
    751E130C-ACBD-4DFA-993A-0D5CFB515DDC.jpeg
    154.4 KB · Views: 19
I cast a vote saying poultry fountain. I’m not sure if that is the correct term. I just use simple 1 gallon plastic waterers with the screw on bottom that automatically fills by gravity. I have a few scattered around the run. I’ve never tried nipple or cup waters and moved away from galvanized when it was clouding the water. The bad thing about the plastic living in a warm sunny climate is that they do tend to get algae residue which can be hard to get off.

I've used vertical and horizontal nipples. If freezing temperatures weren't an issue, I was fine with how the vertical ones work (I did not have any leaking issue, which is a common complaint... the nipple was really snugly installed in the waterer) and the chickens preferred the vertical one. However since I need a waterer that works with freezing temps, horizontal is my preference. Haven't had any leaking/dripping issues, the nipples stay clean throughout the year, and it's just an easy, low maintenance way to provide water.

The waterer I use is this one: https://www.backyardchickens.com/reviews/premier-1-heated-poultry-waterer.11903/

In hot temperatures (around 90F+) I do provide additional water via large plant saucers. They're meant for the chickens to stand in to cool off a bit, but of course they'll also drink from them.

Another thing that's important to me in a waterer is to have one that's fully opaque, and to keep it in the shade on top of that. If no light gets in, no algae grows. No algae, no need to clean. My semi translucent chick sized mason jar waterer grows algae and slime pretty fast, my adult's bucket horizontal nipple waterer (with very thick plastic walls, thicker than a typical bucket) does not. I've literally never cleaned it other than a quick rinse out each time I fill it, and it's perfectly clean inside.
Im new so I dont know if it is permissable to mention brand names, so i will err on the side of caution. I use three different types, a hanging gravity fed waterer, a large 5 gallon gravity fed waterer that sits elevated on bricks to keep the birds from scratching wood chips into it, and one horizontal nipple watering device that replaces the spigot on a water cooler. The cooler is insulated, holds 5 gallons, and helps to keep the water cool in the hot weather, and protects from freezing. I keep a little ACV in the cooler, and plain water in the other two. I was amazed at how fast the chicks learned to use the nipple waterer, I thought they wouldn't have a clue but they love it.

My chickens prefer a drinking bottle for rabbits and love to drink from an open bowl where they also can wash their feet in. They barely use the the one with chicken nipples.
drink-bottles-s-100-ml.jpg

I use a rabbit nipple like this for many years now. I replace the bottle if it gets green with a standard 500 ml water or coke bottle.

olympia-wit-porselein-schaal-75cm-12-stuks.jpg

Must have for chickens who like to take a foot bath.

i never tried the cups.
i did have a standard Waterer (like nr 3)
I could hang this waterer in the coop. Was okay. But the plastic melted in a winter from a heating element (wrongly attached) when it was freezing.

Back
Top Bottom