Official BYC Poll: Which type of waterers do you like best and why?

Which type of waterers do you like best and why?

• Horizontal Nipple Waterers

Votes: 62 21.4%
  • Vertical Nipple Waterers

Votes: 22 7.6%
  • Cup Nipple Waterers

Votes: 17 5.9%
  • Plain Cup Waterers

Votes: 19 6.6%
  • Poultry Fountains

Votes: 33 11.4%
  • Gravity-fed Waterers

Votes: 65 22.4%
  • Automatic Waterers

Votes: 12 4.1%
  • Bowls

Votes: 31 10.7%
  • Buckets

Votes: 20 6.9%
  • Other (please elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 9 3.1%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Chickens drink a surprising amount of water, with laying hens needing more water than non-laying hens. Therefore, it’s vitally important that chickens are given access to water whenever they need.

So when it comes to your backyard flock: Which type of waterers do you like best? Tell us why in the comments section below.

OFFICIAL BYC POLL (10).png

Here are some top-rated waterers from Amazon:

By the way, don't forget to enter our 2020 Home-Made Feeder, Waterer, Incubator, & Brooder Contest

(Check out more Official BYC Polls HERE!)

Last edited:
I use simple large stainless steel dog bowls that has a non-slip rubber bottom. I have it raised sitting on a block of cement so they can't scratch water dirt and bedding into it. I only keep a small flock of 12 or less so it works for me. It makes dealing with algae growth easier by simply swirling a scrub brush with a little anti-bacterial dish soap around and rinsing out.

Following this with interest. I haven't tried horizontal nipples yet. Everything else I've tried has issues with getting dirt/bedding scratched into it, or dribbling and making a mess. (Grrr, vertical nipples, thinking of you!) It's getting colder now, and I *might* have electricity in the coop/run, but not sure. The horizontal cup nipples got just as much dirt scratched in as an of the open style ones.

Following this with interest. I haven't tried horizontal nipples yet. Everything else I've tried has issues with getting dirt/bedding scratched into it, or dribbling and making a mess. (Grrr, vertical nipples, thinking of you!) It's getting colder now, and I *might* have electricity in the coop/run, but not sure. The horizontal cup nipples got just as much dirt scratched in as an of the open style ones.
I put the plastic one on bricks to raise it up a little so the chickens don't scratch dirt in them as much.

Back
Top Bottom