Official BYC Poll: Which waterer is better: Nipples or cups?

Which waterer is best for less mess?

• Total voters
Pics
I've used horizontal nipples for my birds for a few years. They make virtually no mess and the chickens seem happy with it. I only use a small plastic bucket and just plop a bird bath heater in there in the winter. It works great, I didn't have any issues with freezing last winter. In terms of them learning how to use it, it might've taken them 10 minutes to figure it out? Ive been curious how the cups work, but I'm happy with the horizontals right now :)

I use traditional waterers. I’m not a big fan of nipple waterers because I have seen them leak and birds not use them. Also I have well water and prefer something I can literally take apart and scrub as needed. I don’t think you can really clean a nipple and even city water gets nasty over time. My neighbor had an elaborate system of catching rain water off the roof and running it into a container which fed the pipes into the nipples.
things got mucky and full of algae and that was the end of that.
I considered doing rainwater catchment for chicken water - for about 2 minutes.
I have so many trees over my coops that the systems would be clogged after just a couple of days.

I have to say all waters are improved when you put a dog dish under it that way it stays fresh in a puddle is always more fun than a water fountain

This is our first coop, we just finished, wel except for some little details. I purchased the kit off of Amazon, bought a bucket at Lowe’s and made the waterer in the pic. The chicks took to it right away. The new improved design without the little yellow things in the cups that they have to peck to get water, is very nice. They refill by weight. When full no water goes in, as the chick drinks the cups raise up a bit and a little water goes in. Works like a charm! Glad I bought this type!

Attachments

• 2EA40000-5610-485C-BBDD-12438CE96FD8.jpeg
    2EA40000-5610-485C-BBDD-12438CE96FD8.jpeg
    853.2 KB · Views: 12
I have a question about the picture on the welcome page for this poll.

Where can I see pictures &/or thread of the right side picture? The hose with a 90° pipe fitting that has chain(?) Hanging it from rafter & a red cup/saucer under it?
@BYC Project Manager might know where it came from.

@BYC Project Manager might know where it came from.
See my post from a moment ago..... It's wierd that my previous search's came up dry.(pun unforced)

Now to figure out:
A) has anyone here used it or using it now?
B) figure out the specs & actual cost w/shipping
C) decide if it's actually worth it now.... Visually I like the design.

... Thanks @casportpony & @aart for your continued follow thru.

Classic water— It forces me to make sure they have clean water every day—I need to move up to the gallon bucket size because they are knocking them over because they like to stand on them like they were babies. I am a mixed flock/urban backyard chicken mama. Being a falconer, I actually changed my mew (which is like a walk in aviary enclosure) into my chicken coop and weathering yard. I take them outside in a kennel to do the deep cleaning on it once a month or so. When I Have them temporarily in the kennel, I use an extra dog water bowl on a stand. It doesn’t get dirty, they can’t stand on it, and they don’t knock it over. It’s almost like the elevated dog food stands that provide better posture for your animal. They just walk by and put their little heads in there and get a drink.

Attachments

• 1F3C2932-6571-42F7-992D-FE4E08FC470E.jpeg
    1F3C2932-6571-42F7-992D-FE4E08FC470E.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 8
  • 2F62CD9B-A052-4165-A31B-DF864CF5CCA6.jpeg
    2F62CD9B-A052-4165-A31B-DF864CF5CCA6.jpeg
    947.6 KB · Views: 6
  • B69423CD-BF0E-4487-A152-81387B4CA032.jpeg
    B69423CD-BF0E-4487-A152-81387B4CA032.jpeg
    794 KB · Views: 6
  • A46546ED-55DC-468B-9EDA-1A8EDD64A91C.jpeg
    A46546ED-55DC-468B-9EDA-1A8EDD64A91C.jpeg
    702 KB · Views: 7
Well I don't know.. but I don't like the cups. Chickens just can't figure it out. So I just got two of the round troff type and just ditched the bucket I made with the cups I put in it.

Back
Top Bottom