Official BYC Poll: Which waterer is better: Nipples or cups?

Which waterer is best for less mess?

• Total voters
Pics
Im new to this but im sold on the cups with the nipple inside.

1st waterer I got was the auto fill cups. They auto filled, and one was bad, so it continued to autofill and leaked/over flowed a bunch.

2nd was a standard 1/2 gal waterer, birds loved it, but it was crazy messy and eventually where the reservoir was started to leak as well...

so i finally built me an auto waterer out of PVC with the cups with the little nipple inside. The girls peck at the little nipple and it lets out some water into the cup, they drink their fill and the cup is close to empty so when they do bump or turn them very little water is spilled and mess is minimal.

Cups get my vote

Thanks, they have shade From the trees but on the next hot day when I notice them doing it again I will mist them with cold water
My garden has been productive with the cucumbers so I split them and freeze them and put them in a shallow pan of water.
20200713_071619.jpg

My chickens have been using vertical nipples from the day they came out of the box with NO mess or problems and have never been dehydrated because they use vertical nipples. I have no clue why people make up things about vertical nipples that are not true...

I've tried horizontal nipples and being spring loaded a 2 day old chick could not use one like a vertical nipple. The cups would freeze up in the winter while my vertical nipple water bucket works down to at least 0°F and has spent many nights at that temperature. I never could get horizontal nipples to not freeze when exposed to the outside.

I can take a photo of my current inside water stations if anyone is interested.

JT

My chickens have been using vertical nipples from the day they came out of the box with NO mess or problems and have never been dehydrated because they use vertical nipples. I have no clue why people make up things about vertical nipples that are not true...

I've tried horizontal nipples and being spring loaded a 2 day old chick could not use one like a vertical nipple. The cups would freeze up in the winter while my vertical nipple water bucket works down to at least 0°F and has spent many nights at that temperature. I never could get horizontal nipples to not freeze when exposed to the outside.

I can take a photo of my current inside water stations if anyone is interested.

JT
Yes, please. Newbie Central responding, over & out

Yes, please. Newbie Central responding, over & out

Here you go, I need to make a bigger reservoir for for the permanent one. These two were test water stations to see how big the sink needed to be.

Hmm, there still seems to be a problem for me to upload a photo here. It goes to 100% then cancels out 😞

You can view the images on my web site here.

JT

Here you go, I need to make a bigger reservoir for for the permanent one. These two were test water stations to see how big the sink needed to be.

Hmm, there still seems to be a problem for me to upload a photo here. It goes to 100% then cancels out 😞

You can view the images on my web site here.

JT

Regarding picture uploads.... A few of us have been struggling with this for aleast a week plus so far.

A couple work around we have come up with (simple but, time consuming)
1) via phone screenshot the image, they seem to upload just fine still
2) open a photo editor and slightly crop it down and then save it's modified version as a copy/what name you wish. On my phone the free Photoshop app default saves them in a *.psx format and those also seem to upload fine..... About 75% or the time for my phone.

Regarding picture uploads.... A few of us have been struggling with this for aleast a week plus so far.

A couple work around we have come up with (simple but, time consuming)
1) via phone screenshot the image, they seem to upload just fine still
2) open a photo editor and slightly crop it down and then save it's modified version as a copy/what name you wish. On my phone the free Photoshop app default saves them in a *.psx format and those also seem to upload fine..... About 75% or the time for my phone.

I don't use a phone for the internet. I always resize them to 1200 x 900 and use jpg as type.
I've also been having a problem for a couple of weeks I think.

JT

Back
Top Bottom