• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
For FUN!
lol.png

I agree about the nostalgia, but also there is a security in having these pets- I feel more capable of providing, somehow. It's silly- but it feels as if it's a step in the right direction to a city dweller.

I enjoy watching my chickens. It is very relaxing and comical at times.
I remember raising them from chicks, watching them develop, the first eggs. All that good stuff. Makes me smile no matter how tough things get.
They like to travel too! We are in the process of moving to our farm, which is about 450 miles away. My hens have made this trip many times. I bring out the carriers, and say "C'mon girls, road trip". Most of the time, they sit till I pick them up to put them in.
I will always argue with a person that says chickens are stupid.
I cannot eat a store bought egg. To me, they are a tasteless mucous entity encased in a shell.
My flowers are absolutely gorgeous. I have had people come by to take pictures. They ask what I use to fertilize.
Being that I'm illegal for chickens until we move to the farm, I told them good compost.
It's great to see the increasing popularity of chicken enthusiasts that just want a few around for pets, eggs, or any of the above.
I am Illegal in a small suburb northwest of Chicago. Yet it is legal to keep 3 or 4 in Chicago.....go figure.

As a working artist, I have always been facinated with farm animals as a subject. It's just not practical to keep cows in my very small urban yard. . . but chickens work. Also, my very favorite pets in my entire life were geese, raised from hatchlings. I adored them. Again, I no longer live where I can keep them, went through a "phase" with parrots, trying to duplicate the "goose love", but that didn't work out very well. . . Chickens are a PERFECT substitute. . . just as pretty, just as much fun to watch and interact with. I am on my last (I keep telling myself) dog, but I may have chickens forever. . . . .

:/my number 1 reason is because the commercial growers(most,not all) treat their food animals horribly and I REFUSE to support their inhumane methods. I DO eat meat but its happy til the end.
big_smile.png

As my "Other" reason for raising chickens? Nostalgia! I feel good, like I'm staying connected with my up~bringing! I want my son to see, live and enjoy country life and not lose touch with the joys of such simple things as chicken in the yard! The humor that comes with watching them chasing grasshoppers & Junebugs!

I retired to the very most laid back part of Costa Rica and the Chickens fight the loneliness and boredom. and give me something to write about to my non-chicken owning friends back in Florida. And eggs and young roosters make great gifts here to help me know my neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom