• Meat

Votes: 640 26.4%
  • Fertilizer

Votes: 924 38.1%
  • Bug Control

Votes: 1,018 42.0%
  • More interesting and/or easy than other animals

Votes: 642 26.5%
  • Other (please specify in reply comments)

Votes: 257 10.6%
  • Showing & Exhibition

Votes: 219 9.0%

• Total voters
well, the cats I've had either stalked the neighbor's children, gave the other neighbor 4 fang holes in her shin, killed rabbits and birds in my and the neighbor's yard, got a broken leg, got cancer, or tore up my screen doors. The parakeets I had were in a dedicated room, in which they bloodied each other and pooped everywhere. The dog I had was too needy, we couldn't go anywhere without my mom babysitting, so we gave her the pup. So, one day I wanted to distract my husband from something bad I did, so I bought some chicks, and (it worked!) and we are so happy, and they live outside, they don't bark, (however they aren't doing their egg song's yet), and they give us eggs (they will, they will, someday) in return. I love the way the chatter to eachother, and to me when I bring them a treat. I love the way they get all focused on a bug before they grab it, and expecially the way they scratch/dance the ground to get a nugget of something.

I have chickens for many reasons, I love watching them running and free ranging in my pasture. Not to mention their great eggs and having my 7 year old granddaughter help with all the chores!
and they give unconditional love :)

I used to have Pigeons and always loved watching them and caring for them.
where I live now there are just too many predators they would be dinner for every hawk and owl in the neighbor hood.
Chickens also provide eggs which might be useful when the zombie apocalypse comes. LoL so I would have to say mostly as pets.

Why do I have chickens?!?! Because I enjoy spending all of my free time cleaning chicken coops and taking big chunks of my paycheck to buy feed
duc.gif
. That's partially the truth
wink.png

But really I enjoy the quality and flavor of farm fresh eggs and meat. The flavor and quality is so much better compared to that you get from a grocery store. I enjoy throwing feed out to the flock and watching them scramble for every grain. Watching the mother hens leading clutches of chicks hunting bugs and worms. I enjoy the aspect of teaching my girls responsibility and having them understand that living creatures require our care daily.

I enjoy going to poultry shows and stacking what I've produced up against everyone else. Watching my daughter's face light up when she realizes her hard work is paying off when she goes up to receive a trophy for a great quality bird and a job well done. Most importantly, poultry has taught my girls that if you work really hard and understanding, anything is possible to accomplish .

That is why I have chickens.........................

My other reason is to supply a specific elderly group with fresh yard eggs through a culture program, i sell half my eggs, 10dz weekly @ 2$ ea and they are then given to the elders free, i also supply new blank, self labelled cartons at no extra cost, i do asked that the cartons be retunred to the point of pick up to reduce my out of pocket expense, we use the other eggs at home, we do not buy store eggs

Hi Fowltemptress! I agree with 'therapy'. I have never experienced anxiety before and am not too keen on medications. I haven't had a pet in 10 years (adore cats, but my lease does not allow cats) and after babysitting new chicks for my sister I found watching them stumble around in all their fuzzy glory was therapeutic...so I kept two. They are such a nice distraction from my thoughts. I completely understand and is the same reason I have them too....I love fussing over them. :)

My reasons are multi-purpose. Love them, eggs are a plus fertilizer for my organic garden.. I think it is a healthy activity. They are a source of conversation with many friends and I have used them as food when Imwas told O was buying Leghorns and got Cornish hens.

I am getting chickens because, frankly I am worried about the state of the economy and I want to have some means of eggs and food should the idiot in the White House succeed in his mission to make us a 2nd or 3rd world country.

Wow... i thought i was coo coo for believing my chickens made me calm and accepted.I read theses comments and it seems im not alone!!! They make me feel so good, emotionally they touch me. They put me in the best mood, and remove all my worries and stress. Ive had so many pets, but only chickens affected me this way. I love them, their big cute personalities, and their eggs of course. I will have chickens for the rest of my life, i think they are a garden/kitchen/heart/mind necessity!
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom