Official BYC Poll: Winterizing your flock's feed: Do you change or supplement it?

Winterizing your flock's feed: Do you change or supplement it?

• Yes, I increase their protein content.

Votes: 44 28.4%
  • Yes, I offer them corn/scratch to help them build more fat.

Votes: 67 43.2%
  • Yes, I offer them fatty treats.

Votes: 26 16.8%
  • Yes, I offer them warm oatmeal or grains.

Votes: 33 21.3%
  • Yes, I offer them fodder and/or fermented feed.

Votes: 23 14.8%
  • No, I keep them on the same feed in winter.

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 13 8.4%

• Total voters
I feed them 20% protein flock raiser year round. The only thing I do differently in the winter is what Sally described - I make them a mash out of their regular feed, but with hot water (either the fines, or the crumble if there are no fines currently).

Ironically, my chickens only get to graze on grass in the winter. I don’t free range and they aren’t allowed in the garden during the growing season, but I plant winter wheat in it in the fall, and it stays fresh and green all winter. That’s when I let the chickens into the garden (it’s fenced and covered on top so they’re safe in there). In the warm months, I give them glass clippings from mowing, branches from shrubs they like, etc. so they still get greens, but it’s only in winter that they get to walk on grass and pick it themselves. Which is funny because winter in Boston is cold and dead, and among the snow there’s this oasis of green, with chickens in it 😄
I love that idea!

GC, where do you get alfalfa hay? I’m in CT as well. 🐓❤️
I get it from TSC (Tractor Supply Co).
20190519_112021.jpg

GC

I keep them on the same feed, but supplement it with more protein and corn. I haven't had chickens but for a couple of years, and this seems to be working for my happily spoiled, feathered babies.

I feed them 20% protein flock raiser year round. The only thing I do differently in the winter is what Sally described - I make them a mash out of their regular feed, but with hot water (either the fines, or the crumble if there are no fines currently).

Ironically, my chickens only get to graze on grass in the winter. I don’t free range and they aren’t allowed in the garden during the growing season, but I plant winter wheat in it in the fall, and it stays fresh and green all winter. That’s when I let the chickens into the garden (it’s fenced and covered on top so they’re safe in there). In the warm months, I give them glass clippings from mowing, branches from shrubs they like, etc. so they still get greens, but it’s only in winter that they get to walk on grass and pick it themselves. Which is funny because winter in Boston is cold and dead, and among the snow there’s this oasis of green, with chickens in it 😄
Great idea! I’m going to try it!

Mine love to eat grasses too. Great for fresh vitamins.
BTW I think they need more extra’s (proteïne) now at the start of autumn as they need in winter. I have a couple of hens molting now.

I'm not telling you what to do rather I am providing information for others why your method is not appropriate for feeding poultry and the potential impacts of diluting their nutrition with the addition of cracked corn.

As to sticking to my opinion, I'll continue to rely on my 25 years as a PHD trained animal nutritionist. You can have your opinions.
I didn't even know you could get a Ph.D in animal nutrition. Maybe you would check out the thread on feeding dogs a raw diet and share your expertise on that?

We're not very consistent in what we feed. Right now they're getting feather fixer, with 20% protein, which is a pelleted feed, because they're molting. Come spring when they start laying consistently and fresh forage and insects are available, we'll probably switch them back to all-flock, an 18% crumble. We may switch them sooner, depending on when we put the chicks in with them (the chicks are presently on a starter formula). We will never feed layer because we have a rooster and some of the chicks are cockerels, plus we have a couple of retired old ladies. Whatever we feed has to be universally useful. But we don't supplement for winter. We toss them a handful of scratch twice a day and half a cup of mealworms once a day, just on general principles, year round. This is for 16 hens and a roo (we lost four hens to a coyote last week. Lost the roo, too, but got a replacement already).

Back
Top Bottom