Official BYC Poll: With Winter Upon Us, What Preparations Have You Made For Your Chickens?

With Winter Upon Us, What Preparations Have You Made For Your Chickens?

• I got my heated waterers/heated bases out and ready

Votes: 79 51.3%
  • I replaced old shavings with new

Votes: 83 53.9%
  • I sanitized the coop before the temperature dropped

Votes: 30 19.5%
  • I put a cover on the run to keep the snow out

Votes: 52 33.8%
  • I added toys to combat boredom

Votes: 33 21.4%
  • I made or bought anti-pick spray

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I stocked up on supplements to enhance their diets since foraging won't be possible

Votes: 50 32.5%
  • Other (elaborate in a reply below)

Votes: 53 34.4%

• Total voters
Pics

BYC Project Manager

BYC Staff
Project Manager
Premium Feather Member
15 Years
Feb 22, 2009
Keeping chickens safe and healthy over the colder months is a big concern for their keepers as winter and the extreme weather conditions experienced in certain parts of the world can cause problems such as frostbite and in some cases losses of birds. So With Winter Upon Us, What Preparations Have You Made For Your Chickens?

Place your vote above, and please elaborate in a reply below if you chose "Other".

With Winter Upon Us, What Preparations Have You Made For Your Chickens (1).png

Further Reading:

Top 5 Ways Of Keeping Your Flock Warm In Winter
Caring For Chickens in the Winter
Chicken Coop Ventilation
To Insulate or Not To Insulate
It's Cold - Keeping Flocks Warm And Healthy In Winter
Deep Litter Method - The Easiest Way To Deal With Chicken Litter
Cold Weather Advisory - A Detailed Look At The Question of Supplemental Heat

(Check out more exciting Official BYC Polls HERE!)

I put up wind barriers on the prevailing wind (west) side of the run. It goes around the NW and SW corners for about 3 feet. The chickens can get out of the wind and scratch and peck to their hearts' content.

There are lots of "clutter" things to get behind to block the wind from the other directions. When if gets really cold, ie, under 10 degrees, I'll shut the people door to the coop and they can stay inside if they want.

We rarely have temperatures below freezing, so my only preparation is to completely lower, but not latch the window covering next to the roost. I also check the forecast daily so we can raise and lower all other window coverings based on the temperature and wind direction. Our winter temperatures range anywhere from 20F to 80F and as we are right next to a large bay, winds can come from any direction.

I cover the open windows which are of 1/2” wire mesh. The 24” X 30” window gets a piece of plexiglass. The smaller window, which is in the door, gets bubble wrap stapled over it. There is still plenty of ventilation, but these ‘storm’ windows will help keep out the cold.
View attachment 2912102
I do exactly this. :thumbsup

I picked other. Since we don't get harsh winters here, I don't do anything other than keep their coops clean and as dry as possible.

Same.

I do have plans to put up a some kind of extra wind protection for the roosts at some point this month in case we get a severe storm.

Back
Top Bottom