Ended Official BYC Valentine Puns Contest Series - Wattle I Do Without You? Photo Contest

Pics
It's usually only done in commercial settings. I believe it's so they have a harder time hurting each other in the small spaces that increase bullying. I'm surprised there was a feed store selling them actually. I've never seen them for sale around here in a retail setting.
Better solution is just to stop overcrowding :confused:

Entry 1-
She was a Golden Comet or Golden Sexlink pullet, 3 years old. Her name is Scrappy! She would get over mated my our rooster, and Scrappy just stuck. She was the sweetest, not afraid to eat from my hand, didn't like to be petted or held, but none of my other hens did either. She always made broody cooing nosies when she went to lay an egg lol! Never sat though. All her little quirks were too cute! She passed away from an egg that got crushed before she laid it. I didn't do enough research here or on other sources for what to do, and she stopped eating and gave up. I could have done more, but I try not to dwell. I still miss you Scrappy! She was the best!
aw I'm sorry that happened to her :hugs
I got Rhaega from a fellow chicken keeper who did not want her to be alone. (All her flock mates died.)
that was nice of you to take her in!
View attachment 2505409Entry #3
This is Miss Blue, my silkie hen that passed away a few days ago. She’s always been sort of odd. For instance, ever since the day I brought her home she’s been best friend with my Cornish cross hen. They always used to sleep cuddled up to each other. Blue was also my first chicken that I bought, so she meant a lot to me.
she sounded like an amazing girl :hugs
Better solution is just to stop overcrowding :confused:
yeah but they dont care enough 😓

Entry #1
This is Attack my flarry eye gray, I love him more than anything. He’s still young but I’ve never owned a chicken as special as him. He has helped me get through so much and was always there when I needed him most. Every time I’m sad or stressed he can always cheer me up. He is so beautiful and has such a funny personality, I wouldn’t trade him for the world. I got him from a lady who hatched eggs from greenfire. It was so hard for me to get them because there were so many people that were in line to get them but somehow I got him and I’m so glad I did.
12719DAA-754C-4053-A0CE-17C53DDD12DE.jpeg

Obviously not, but we can dream :hmm
yeah :/
Entry #1
This is Attack my flarry eye gray, I love him more than anything. He’s still young but I’ve never owned a chicken as special as him. He has helped me get through so much and was always there when I needed him most. Every time I’m sad or stressed he can always cheer me up. He is so beautiful and has such a funny personality, I wouldn’t trade him for the world.View attachment 2505485
attack! he sounds amazing

It's usually only done in commercial settings. I believe it's so they have a harder time hurting each other in the small spaces that increase bullying. I'm surprised there was a feed store selling them actually. I've never seen them for sale around here in a retail setting.
The place they went also sold chicks to larger egg operations so I think that's the reason.

This is Bella, my Blue Laced Red Wyandotte hen. She is 1 year old.
(4 months in the pic)
Bella is a wonderful bird, and an awesome mama. She has always been sweet and kind to all of the new birds, and is very good with people too.
Also, she's my prettiest hen. ❤
20200405_165349_HDR.jpg

This is our beautiful Ffion who we hatched earlier this year in May. She just loves cuddles and will snuggle in my arms for as long as I can hold her. She will also run up your back given half a chance and she's a decent sized chicken so it's fun getting her off your shoulder, especially when the kids aren't around to help. 🤣

We have some young, hormonal cockerels and Ffion is extremely bossy towards them and will send them packing if they dare to harass the bantams. One thought he'd try to have a go at our 10 year old son, but she charged over to his rescue too, bless her. 💗

Ffion.jpg

thumbnail_3F12629F-C111-416A-8FB8-095F92B104DF.jpg

Perri. 2018-2020.

We all have that special chicken. Perri came into my life in 2018, when I was browsing in a new chicken business shop. I couldn't get over how cute the chicks were! Every time we would go to the other near by places, my sister and I would go look at the chickens. Eventually we begged and begged....pleaded some more so that our parents would let us keep baby chicks. At this point, I was studying up so much about chickens and raising baby chicks I could basically graduate chicken school:lol:. We borrowed my friend's chick brooder and then things were on a roll. We got all the needed supplies and then it was time. So we rocked up to the place and bought four chicks. A blue laced barnevelder (hen), a SLW (hen), an araucana (hen, Perri) and a unknown breed (chocolate brown, called Rebel. Passed away from coccidiosis when 'he' was just a baby). We had great times with Perri. She was my favourite most favourite ever! Was it her kind dark brown eyes? Or her goofy afro? Maybe it was her derpy personality. The way she would fall asleep instantly as soon as I put her in my arms or lap? All of the above. We had so many great memories! Until she passed of being taken by a fox....in front of my very own eyes.:(
Now my baby is in heaven. Poor Perri! She didn't deserve that way to go. I'm sure the lord has plans for her though. I know she is in safe hands. R.I.P

For more information on Perri, please visit her thread or PM me! :)
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/r-i-p-perri-always-remembered-never-forgotten.1422974/

Back
Top Bottom