Ended Official BYC Valentine Puns Contest Series - Wattle I Do Without You? Photo Contest

Pics
Entry # 2
Pantaloons
6 months
Easter egger/ langshan cross
Hatched here by Lucy Langshan, his mama
20210205_060619.jpg

Last edited:
This is Bug aka Bug-a-Bug. She is a blue bantam Cochin pullet. Even though she is the friendliest bird I have, I can never seen to get a great shot of her.
When she was little, she hung out with all the other Cochin teenagers, but one day decided that she would be my shadow. She likes to hop onto my lap and have a conversation. She follows me around the yard talking to me. If I stand still, she stands between or on my feet.
20210205_140712.jpg

Angel is one of our white frizzle bantam Cochins. With her frizzled feathers she could not get on the high roost in the new pen, but you could tell that she wanted to be with her brooder mates from early 2019. I started catching her and putting her up with her friends. After about a week, when she would see me come outside, she started Running to me. She would stand there so I could pick her up, walk to the pen and put her on the roost. She has done this for over a year. She makes my heart happy.
About three months ago her twin sister and our only silkie started running to me also. They hop onto a bin in the run to let me know they are ready to be put on the roost with Angel. :love:love:love
20191026_174939.jpg

Roo Roo is our family. He was just one of the chickens until he got wry neck last spring. My daughter and I spent two months nursing him back to health. I would syringe feed him vitamin E liquid, poultry cell and water through the day. My daughter would hold him, half inside a pitcher with food so that wherever he pecked, he would get some. He had so little control and aim and lost so much weight before we even knew something was wrong.
He is completely fine now, but he is a different bird. He hops on us to ask for hand feeding still, follows us around the yard, and when perched on the coop door, he knows to step down onto my hand when it's time to close the door. He stands at the back sliding glass door and will peck on the glass and crow repeatedly until someone comes to pick him up. If we open the door, he walks right in and makes himself at home.
20200930_093846.jpg

Last edited:
Entry #1 - Wally the Rescue Hen
Wally is a sweet hen we rescued back in September, out in a grocery store parking lot of all places (can you guess which one by her name?) We created a thread on BYC to track her progress and document her journey, and it's been an amazing few months so far. To be honest, I have no idea how old she is or what breed. I don't even care if she lays an egg at all in her time here. We're just so happy to have her. You see, two weeks exactly before her rescue, my elderly adopted dog passed away. Exactly one week after that, our female duck was lost to a snake attack overnight. Then exactly one week later to the day, Wally was rescued. She came at a much needed time, and I was able to channel my sadness and turn it into concentration on her wellbeing. After a quarantine period and a bit of work, she ended up providing a much needed companion for our male duck, who had been depressed after losing his mate. She's blossomed to become a spoiled, sweet girl. Wattle I do without Wally?
IMG_8926.jpg

Entry #2 - Chicken Hawk, the smart girl
Chicken Hawk, or "Hawk" for short, is the baby of a Golden Polish rooster and a mixed breed hen we had years ago. Somehow, with decently normal sized parents, she came out to be a bantam sized hen. Her name came from the mohawk she had as a baby! She was hatched by a surrogate hen, though we had to pull her due to the hen's egg eating after her hatching, and she became an orphan essentially. I hand-raised her, with long evenings of cuddles and chatting with her. I took her out for supervised yard time, clucking to her as I turned over things to present her with bugs. To this day, she will follow behind me and watch me shuffle my feet to try and find grasshoppers. I can cluck, and she comes running. She was clicker trained to fly to my arm with a hand signal, and can ring a bell as well. She is also target trained to fly to things I point at and say "up" - which improved how she went into her coop instead of chasing her around. She's getting to be an old gal, but I love her! Here's her "Christmas portrait"
IMG_5081.jpg

Entry #1 - Wally the Rescue Hen
Wally is a sweet hen we rescued back in September, out in a grocery store parking lot of all places (can you guess which one by her name?) We created a thread on BYC to track her progress and document her journey, and it's been an amazing few months so far. To be honest, I have no idea how old she is or what breed. I don't even care if she lays an egg at all in her time here. We're just so happy to have her. You see, two weeks exactly before her rescue, my elderly adopted dog passed away. Exactly one week after that, our female duck was lost to a snake attack overnight. Then exactly one week later to the day, Wally was rescued. She came at a much needed time, and I was able to channel my sadness and turn it into concentration on her wellbeing. After a quarantine period and a bit of work, she ended up providing a much needed companion for our male duck, who had been depressed after losing his mate. She's blossomed to become a spoiled, sweet girl. Wattle I do without Wally?
View attachment 2517957

What a wonderful fluffy butt love story! I love it when their names have a story behind them too! She is so lucky you found her!

Entry #2 - Chicken Hawk, the smart girl
Chicken Hawk, or "Hawk" for short, is the baby of a Golden Polish rooster and a mixed breed hen we had years ago. Somehow, with decently normal sized parents, she came out to be a bantam sized hen. Her name came from the mohawk she had as a baby! She was hatched by a surrogate hen, though we had to pull her due to the hen's egg eating after her hatching, and she became an orphan essentially. I hand-raised her, with long evenings of cuddles and chatting with her. I took her out for supervised yard time, clucking to her as I turned over things to present her with bugs. To this day, she will follow behind me and watch me shuffle my feet to try and find grasshoppers. I can cluck, and she comes running. She was clicker trained to fly to my arm with a hand signal, and can ring a bell as well. She is also target trained to fly to things I point at and say "up" - which improved how she went into her coop instead of chasing her around. She's getting to be an old gal, but I love her! Here's her "Christmas portrait"
View attachment 2517969

A trained chicken! Wow! I had a hen that liked to fly up to my shoulder while I was doing chicken chores but I can't really say that I trained her to do it. I think she was just especially friendly, lol.

Back
Top Bottom