Ended Official BYC Winter Contest Series—Chilly Coop Contest

Pics
I don't know about everyone else, but we're having a really weird winter here. Only an inch or 2 of snow (normally at least several feet). We're in the middle of our coldest snap right now, and it's 20 deg C warmer than a usual cold snap (it's actually our normal winter temps). Most of this winter the temps have been around or above freezing!

Here's my thugly little coop with 2+feet of snow. I'm hoping to build a better hen house this year.
20210126_104101.jpg

Beautiful! Is that a coop or a house?

Thank you!

The photo below clarifies and is my favourite, close to the end of the build as I was just finishing up the lower roof (a few boards still needed where the blue shows). I used re-cycled tin sheets and wanted to ensure that it was watertight so used blue roofing membrane underneath. The inside is whitewash from back in the day and BlackJack 57, two coats of each (brilliant choices indeed!). The white line across the back is the drop boards.

1612002989623.png

Last edited:
Thank you!

The photo below clarifies and is my favourite, close to the end of the build as I am just finishing up the lower roof (a few boards still needed where the blue shows). I used re-cycled tin sheets and wanted to ensure that it was watertight so used blue roofing membrane underneath. The inside is whitewash from back in the day and BlackJack 57, two coats of each (brilliant choices indeed!). The white line across the back is the drop boards.

View attachment 2508583
wow! You're going to have some mighty spoiled birds.

wow! You're going to have some mighty spoiled birds.

Thank you. Both pictures above were from fall of 2019 so have had birds for almost eighteen months.

At the moment we have -19C (-2.2F) temperatures so they are not feeling spoiled. I have 25: 5 ISAs on their last legs; 10 Black Copper Maran mixes; and 10 Chanteclers (can trace them back to Brother Wilfred Chatelain). The Maran cockerels especially are suffering given large combs/waddles. Based on experience I will be moving to heritage birds only most certainly the Chanteclers also exploring Hungarian Yellows if they can tolerate our winters.

I am in process of a 2nd Woods coop, it will be 8' by 12' and mounted on a ex-camping trailer so mobile. Both are/will be done as kits in the authentic Woods style (no stick frames, pine board and batten, see "My Coop").

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom