Official Definition(s) of Chicken Math

Quote:
I sort of get this, and I sort of don't.
What is the piont of chicken math? Is it to make a large amount of chickens seem really small?
My head hurts!

So, if I had 4 chickens (that lay eggs and are not going to be killed for meat), according to the chicken math above, I would have 4 chicken.
Right?

unless they are pets then they dont count lol

Quote:
X2
clap.gif

Oh thank god I only have 11 because the others are roosters and the hens that lay part of the year so that means they are only 1/8 a chicken and then there is the pets so I really don't have that many.
wee.gif

Last edited:
Well, I have three roosters but two are bantams so the two of them count as one chicken. And then there's the fact that roosters don't lay so I just don't count them. And then there's also that I live on about 7 arcers with no animal restriction really so I can have all the chickens I want. As long as my coop can take it.
wee.gif

Thanks for the definition of chicken math. I was afraid I wasn't using the formula right when I planned an 8'x8' coop for 5 birds. And I was really worried when my coop builder decided that it would be better to make it 8'x12'....for "storage" he says. So I will have plenty of space to add chickens and using you all's formula I will still only have the 5 chickens I planned on owning.
I think I am going to like this new math.
big_smile.png

PS Does anyone have a couple of silkie pullets for sale in NY? I don't have time for an incubator and I have an 8'x12' coop to fill come April.

Hello my name is Nate and I a chickinoholic

My story of chicken math! I went in late September to buy 20-25 chickens from a guy on Craigslist. When I got there he wanted $2 for (5) 1 month old, $3.50 for (15) 2-3 month old and $5 (25) for 4-5 month old st runs. I asked how many he had and he said 50-55 for sale. I was curious and asked what he would take for all and he said $140 I was going to buy the older birds for 100 and I thought to myself I can get 20 more birds for $2 each...... Hmmm well a short time later after catching them I was driving home with 55 chickens in my truck, this is my first experience of chicken math.

I no longer have any of these chickens because they weren't the breeds I really wanted. Now I went to have 26 Rsl, 12 Wellsummers, 9 EE's, and 4-5 Roosters that are going to Freezer camp as soon I as I get my chicken plucker/washer done.

My chick order for this year....
I have 15 pullets from atwoods
7 EE's from a lady in town
I'm getting 20-25 Cuckoo Marans tomorrow
50 Delaware hens with 6 Roos 4 Delaware Roos and 2 RIR. (Breeding Red Stars) 1/2 are for a friend.
100 RS Hens for egg production
Possibly 50 white Leghorns

Chicken Math! Gotta Love it!

Nate

Being a newbie I was also perplexed at what "chicken math" was. I search for it and found this thread and realize that I have already used it.
I was Supposed to order 15 chicks, (5 of 3 different breeds) but then realized that the EEs wifey wanted weren't on the order so I got those... with 3 bronze breasted turkey poults. Wanting to compare the bronze to the white, I got 3 white breasted as well. As my order was delayed till April 6, I noticed Agway had 5 poults left (at a discount:D) when I was getting some quick chick. Being frugal... I had to buy them. So 15 turned to 25 with a 6 turkey kicker. It all sounded perfectly logical when I explained it to my Lady. I fear she only sees the increase in animals from 15 to 31.
hu.gif

Well, I need to find a way to infuse chicken math skills into my husband's brain. He is entirely too logical. He sees 13 chickens but doesn't really realize that the banty hen doesn't count a full chicken..nor do the three seramas. The silkies (four of them) don't count full either cause they were babies when I got them and I am giving one of the showgirls away cause of the two regular silkies and the two showgirls...three of them are roosters! And then of course the roosters don't count cause who would get roosters on purpose? So! of the thirteen chickens out there, four don't count due the roo factor. The three seramas only count for one and I will be giving away one so that only leaves by my calculations there are only six! No, five and a half....banty you know. Oh, and now I have to figure out a way to make a 13 hour round trip to pick up two tolbunt chicks seem reasonable...they of course do not count cause they are rare as hen's teeth!LOL and they are just chicks anyway.
sharon

Back
Top Bottom