Officially-Who are the best layers?

If you mean breed as in proper breed....there are a few good laying breeds such as leghorns, RIR, etc.etc.

But for all round best egg production, the commercial hybrids have had millions of pounds/dollars/whatever poured into their development & for egg production can out lay any purebred.

Last edited:
I've had my RIR's for 1 year now and they have never quit laying! I got them as chicks last year and when they started laying, they didn't stop. Everyone I talk to tells me they don't lay as much during the winter but I have gotten an egg a day from all of them! My Peep Pee's love me!
4chsmu1.gif

Quote:
This is why one avoids the "egg a day" measure, and counts eggs on a per annum basis. It takes into account the many variables that effect the laying of eggs and so gives a more true result.

However, among hobbyists the daily accounting of laying persists. I suspect it has to do more with desire and ignorance, than fact.

Last edited:
I don't have much experience with many different breeds of chickens, but so far my Saipans lay the most efficiently. In the Summer and Fall one will lay 7 eggs a week, then in the Winter/early Spring we get about 5-6 a week. One of them stopped laying during the Winter for a good 2 months, but that was due to an old injury which has recovered since and she's layin' up a storm now.
tongue.png

Quote:
White eggs - Leghorns, California Whites

Brown eggs - All kinds of selected sex links (black, red, cinnamon, brown etc)

equal or almost as good - RIR's (Production red strain) and Australorps

then Rocks, Orpingtons

Then the rest.

I don't agree that Leghorns and not for chicken newbies. I bought 50 leghorns from McMurray and they are my fovorite birds. I have 150 birds in total and the Leghorns are the friendlies and most curious. They don't like being picked up, but follow me around the yard trying looking for goodies. They are the first to roost at night, and always lay their eggs in the nesting boxes. They lay jumbo eggs almost everyday. If they layed brown eggs, I would have nothing but leghorns. In my book - they are the best.
Quote:
If you follow the thread from the top, you'll see that i mentioned, it was years ago that i had the leghorns in the 8x12 coop, like the late 70's. BTW, I never had a sick chicken. I still have the coop,although it is now being used for storage, ( lumber for more coops). I'm not trying to promote coops with too many chickens. The question was; who are the best layers and i still say leghorns. Someone mentioned that leghorns are probably not for the hobbyist, i agree. As for now all i have are 10 Buff Orpington outlaw chicks that are 11 or 12 days old. All in all, i'm a tell it like it is kinda guy,no offense mean't and i hope none taken. I've had, or been around chickens all of my life (I'm 60yrs old) so i do have a little knowledge about chickens. Not tooting my horn, just giving you the facts,,, Peace, Brothers and Sisters,,,,,, Woody

Back
Top Bottom