Often lethargic, tail-down and skinny hen not acting like her sisters

BrahmaMama207

Songster
5 Years
Sep 26, 2018
Portland, ME
I'm posting here, hoping to draw on your experience and wisdom 🙏

Bloomers is an 11mo old light brahma who i've been keeping my eye on for a week. There was no acute injury or incident that I'm aware of.

Field observations:
  • Behavior
    • Often laying down /resting when the rest of the flock is active
    • Tail down most of the time (which is both unusual for her and unlike her sisters)
    • She eats, drinks and sleeps in the coop normally
  • Environment
    • The coop, run and yard give the flock access to dirt, bugs and plants of all kinds - so she could have gotten into something - but she's the only one (of 10) that's having trouble
    • The coop + run have construction sand as litter (as has been the case for ~8 years), raked each morning + sprinkle of diatomaceous earth
    • Nesting boxes are lined with fresh straw daily
  • Diet

Physical exams, daily:
  • She's leaner than her sisters - good thighs, but skinny breast
  • I don't feel an egg
  • Her crop fills and empties throughout the day
  • Comb often quite pale (tho it's bright red in the photos, go figure!)

I've brought her inside for a spa day, so I can observe her more closely. Observations:
  • She's in a dog crate in my climate-controlled home office, with her regular pellets + mush, water and paper towels for litter, so I can see droppings well (video)
  • More energetic now - prob stressed about being away from her flock and coop - so that's a good sign
  • Droppings are formed, but not too hard - but there's more liquid that comes with each evacuation than I see from her sisters

Treatment:
  • My intention is to keep her for observations for 24h so I can better understand her symptoms
  • If I can support her healing, I'd be happy to do that
  • It's likely I'll bring her to the vet if she continues to exhibit symptoms

Attachments

• IMG_2041.png
    IMG_2041.png
    4.3 MB · Views: 96
  • 7D56066C-D855-4F17-A66E-B9E3E54ECECA.JPG
    7D56066C-D855-4F17-A66E-B9E3E54ECECA.JPG
    1 MB · Views: 4
Last edited:
When did she lay her last egg?

Tail down and laying around could hint to reproductive issues or those of the digestive tract.
When did you last deworm them?

When did she lay her last egg?

Tail down and laying around could hint to reproductive issues or those of the digestive tract.
When did you last deworm them?
Thanks for your Qs @LaFleche !

I’ve never dewormed the flock (should I??). Last egg was perfect and yesterday, though she’s laid soft eggs before

B/c she’s the only one with trouble, it makes me wonder if it’s more like ‘she’s got reproductive/digestive problems’ rather than ‘this is an acute episode’

What are your thoughts?

Pale comb is often a problem. The symptoms suggest she may have worms. I'd suggest deworming your flock. Alsp do you have a problem with mites? I'd also give her a thorough check. Make sure her crop is empty every morning and make sure she eats and drinks. I'd also provide her wih vitamin supplements and extra calcium incase it is an egg problem. Good luck :)

she’s laid soft eggs before
Having laid softshelled eggs she might not ingest or absorb enough calcium for the amount of eggs being produced. With young pullets the shell gland sometimes needs some time to adjust.

Try administering 1 tablet of calcium 600mg + vitaminD3 each evening for 7-10 consecutive days.
Just sit her on your lap and tug down on her wattles to open up her beak. Then quickly put the tablet inside and immediately let go of her wattles so she can swallow.
You can use human tablets from Walmart or a drugstore.

Back
Top Bottom