Oh Craigslist, You Amuse Me So!

https://columbusga.craigslist.org/grd/d/phenix-city-turken-chicks/7596489935.html
"they lay lots of eggs on little feed due to 50% less feathers"
No Way Wtf GIF by Harlem
Nope. Ask me how I know.

I do get the idea behind their claim though

How does the neck make up 50% of the feathers? How does having less feathers make them eat less food? And most importantly, how does this make them lay more eggs?
I have so many questions 😭
As far as the neck is concerned, no, they're not missing 50% by that. They have bald necks, plus baldness elsewhere. Not just the neck. I'm not sure if it's a full 50%... but that's probably where they're rounding that number to. ;)

As far as less feed... I thought they were could be eaten as well? How does that play in effect?

It doesn't. They're not even great layers like RSLs. It's only a sale's pitch. Any chicken seller is going to use eggs as a sale's pitch. (Kinda like car salesmen saying that the car has air conditioning.)

As far as the neck is concerned, no, they're not missing 50% by that. They have bald necks, plus baldness elsewhere. Not just the neck. I'm not sure if it's a full 50%... but that's probably where they're rounding that number to. ;)

As far as less feed... I thought they were could be eaten as well? How does that play in effect?

It doesn't. They're not even great layers like RSLs. It's only a sale's pitch. Any chicken seller is going to use eggs as a sale's pitch. (Kinda like car salesmen saying that the car has air conditioning.)
I would think naked necks would eat MORE to account for the loss of heat from not having that extra insulation. My animals have to eat more when cold to maintain body heat, I would expect naked necks to eat more yet to keep warm in the winter.

Then again, it gets pretty cold up here.

I would think naked necks would eat MORE to account for the loss of heat from not having that extra insulation. My animals have to eat more when cold to maintain body heat, I would expect naked necks to eat more yet to keep warm in the winter.

Then again, it gets pretty cold up here.
Mine tend to lower their food intakes when it gets really cold. I really don't notice a difference between my naked necks and other birds their size. Apart from my cockerel, but he's a pig

Back
Top Bottom