OH dear GOD, I am gonna need help!!! LONG!! PICS!

Hi texas, no they wont wear down however they dont grow that fast, Just pretend that you are clipping your boys fingernails.
Get some dog nail clippers, the ones with the hole, not the side cutters. and just take the very end off to get a feel for it. see thats not so hard! then take a little bit more off, and then a little more, just do it gradually and you will be fine. If you see blood, just stop.
I do my 16 year old hen's spurs this way. One time I got a tiny bit of blood but it stopped quickly and so did I!
I dont have any roos at present but theres lots of nice people here who can give you their methods!!

My daughter and I have some of our bantams in wire cages and yes we have to clip them like once a year. Spurs are different we only mess with those when they are really long because I don't like doing them cause they can bleed a lot! But in any case, you can only clip the toe nails once a week or so till they get to a reasonable length. But I would also say having taken animals with extra long toenails and I mean loooooong nails that you could probably clip almost half what is there just go bit by bit till you see pink then quit.

Good luck! Chickens are very resourceful if you put them on the ground and give them a chance they will bounce back the vitamins in water sounds good too...

Arklady

I think Deb should change the name of her farm to Deb's Poultry Rescue!
clap.gif

I was wondering about the women herself...Dose she realize the severity of the situation? Maybe she is a hoarder and in that case someone needs to step in for her (animal control maybe) My fear is that she will just start this whole situation again and in a year or two there will be more poor chickens taking the place of the ones you have rescued. I love animals and for that reason I don't have all the animals I would like to have. I know that I can't give them all proper care. I pick and choose, study about the animal and make it a family obligation. Hoarders have a mental illness they just don't realize how severe the situation is and they are very attached to there animals even though the animals are suffering. They think loving the animal is enough..
God Bless you with your efforts and I wish there was something I could do to help. I hope many helping hands come your way. Everyone should have a heart like yours and the courage to act instead of sitting back and letting it be someone else's problem..

My wife and I are adding 4 new chickens to our flock from an indiviual. They seem healthy but I am worried about mites myself. Is there not a dust you can use on the chickens to kill mites?

We will be praying for you and your new arrivals.

Quote:
Yes... I'm afraid of that, too. If she's a hoarder, she really can't stop herself. Somewhere in her mind, she may be thinking she found her chickens a good home, yes... but also that now she has room for more! Maybe she's thinking that starting from scratch with healthy birds will mean she won't have problems This Time.

barnie.gif

Bless you Deb for rescuing these poor poor chickens, and I am wishing all of you the VERY best of luck.

Quote:
And, does she have any other animals on the property. If she does, then honestly it seems like it might be a really good idea to give a heads up to the local humane society...

Pat

The white guy looks like a white Leghorn.
As for Bag Balm, Walgreen's sells Udder Cream which is just the same thing with a different name to it. It's in the hand lotion aisle.
As for taking off spurs:
Grab the spur with a pair of pliers and twist counter clockwise and it will pop off.
Start with just a little bit on their toe nails...even if you do a couple of birds at a time.
the first thing would be to get them on a supplement like AviaCharge and a balanced diet. I'd actually use a chick starter because of them not eating "real" food.
Goddess bless you Deb.

This is kinda off the subject but Spottedcrow, why do you keep saying goddess?? Don't want to cause any trouble I was just wondering.

It is wonderful what you are doing for the birds...so many would say just get rid of them! As for the woman, PLEASE call animal rescue or the ASPCA or what ever organization is in your area. They are trained to deal with the situation...
Good luck

Back
Top Bottom