OH dear GOD, I am gonna need help!!! LONG!! PICS!

justusnak

Flock Mistress
12 Years
Feb 28, 2007
South Eastern Indiana
barnie.gif
OK, so I got 20 of the little bantams/silkies from the "dirty bird lady" You all....I am gonna need help here. I will get pics tomorrow,I just couldn't stress them out any more! MOST of them have scaley leg mites soooo bad, they have what look like barnacles on thier legs and feet! Their toe nails are so long, thier poor little toes are curled sideways!! There is one beautifull little silkie/cross roo....he has NO TOES!! I named him stubs. POOR THING! They are all in such bad shape, I am not sure I can save them. Or, even if I should TRY! One little blond hen, can barely walk, her feet are so bad. I will get pics tomorrow.....it will make you sick...seriously. After she left, I just sat out there with them...and bawled.
hit.gif
hit.gif
hit.gif
I dont know if I can save a few of them, but, I will try. I put them in the outside hospital pen....there is grass in there....they FREAKED OUT!! They have never touched grass. They was all running trying to get out of the grass, and on the dirt, or in the hutch.
hit.gif
PLEASE....someone.....help...she wants to bring me 20 MORE!!!! I HAVE to find homes for them, and get them healed. I cant stand knowing there are so many more over there, suffering like these ones have been. I will take all I can get from her....even if I have to cull some...in the worst shape. I cant let them suffer. I will try to get pics tomorrow....you just wont believe your eyes. SO SAD!!!

This is ONE of the hens feet. MOST of them look this way
OCT07BantyTOES.jpg

This is a Roos spur..HORRID!!
Oct07NewBantyFEET.jpg

This is the one with no toes...I named him STUBS.
OCT07STUBS.jpg

OCT07Stubspretty.jpg

Any guess on this ones breed? Pretty roo
OCT07WhiteRoo.jpg

This little guy, is cocky! LOL
OCT07OEGBROO.jpg

Last edited:
Deb, Thank you ever so much for your kind kind heart. Sounds like this person needs to be relieved of all living beings in her care post haste. I'm sure whatever you can do will be better than what they've been through with her -- even if a temporary sanctuary till someone can relieve you. Poor innocent babies. This person - should she be reported to the humane society? Sending you good wishes and energy!! JJ

Ok Deb, I can visualise this, I have seen barnacles too and its very distressing. Try to have the hospital pen setup so they have grass to forage in, I know they stress but they will find its actually nice after an hour!! Ive had chickens on grass for the first time and they thought they were in chicken heaven.
If any are suffering and remember that their chicken brains dont think like we do you may have to cull but only if they wont eat or drink!! I wish I could come and help you with this.
I bet they smell bad too.
A stiff bristled brush for the barnacles and a dust mask for the smell, some overalls for you as well, remember you have provided a sanctuary for them and you deserve so much now. I have your address still!!!!!
Can someone else here help with advice on what to do first.
Deb, dont look at the big picture, start at one penful at a time and work your way thru them and be kind to yourself. Dont tire yourself and be careful of diseases etc for your own flock.
Im with you in spirit on this!!
Hugs
Helen

Just keep your spirits up and do the best you can for them. Animals are resilient and they do not experience self pity. They will thrive, just do the best you can for them.

Ship me some if you want!!! Im in CT!!
big_smile.png

Quote:
If Tiffany is willing to take a few so am I. We live close enough that if you send out
as many that will fit in a medium box we can split them up and do our best.
I'd be willing to cover postage.

I've got a large brooder that I can isolate some in until they get better. Maybe my
silkie roo (my avatar), who is close to geting the axe anyways, can help teach them
how to be fuzzy annoying chickens rather than sad mistreated ones.

Don

Last edited:
I wish I could take some off your hands but all I could take was one and I know that wouldn't help much. Shipping would probably be to much though. I have reached my max in chickens right now, I'm planning to build another coop and then I could take a few from you. Dang!!!! I wish I was closer.

Thanks everyone....I am uploading pics now, just a few. It was getting dark...and I didnt want to upset them any more. Here is my plan. Tomorrow...get the vaseling out there, and slather everyones legs really well and try to trim a few toenails while I have them in my hands. I put a large dust pan in there with them, and put ALOT of poultry dust in the box. Thier feed, ( crumbles ) is laced heavily with DE. I asked what she fed them, she said...scratch grains! UGH!! DUMB DUMB DUMB!!!! She said a few of them are laying age....but those eggs will have to be tossed...for a LONG time I am sure. I mentioned that I would have to get a few nest boxes for them, she looked at me like I was crazy, and said....they wont know how to use them, they are used to laying them in the cage floor!!
th.gif
Poor things. I am on dial up, so the pics will take a bit to load...be patient..I will have them on here tonight....IF you dare to see.

Back
Top Bottom