Oh For Cryin' Out Loud

peepinglaura

Songster
10 Years
Mar 9, 2009
Tonight, the end of day 18, my thermometers decided to disagree with each other. One says 101, the other says 103 or 103.5. I need 102 (LG still air). I can't get a new thermometer tonight- it's 2 am. I can't get one tomorrow either (I have a boy sick with the flu, can't go out in the car). They're attached to the same metal thingie that came with the bator, so it can't be a spatial discrepancy.

If anything hatches at the end of my comedy of errors, I'll fall over sideways from shock.

Poor little chick embryos. They seem so strong after everything I've put them through.

Laura

I'm right there with you, I am at the end of day 15 and mine decided to act up too. I have 2 of the digital springfield ones and they both are began to read different temps and humdity. I feel like I could pull my hair out after all this time it would mess up on me now!!!!!!!!!!

Man, maybe I should be grateful I only have one hydrometer. If it's way off, I'm blissfully ignorant!

I have a bizarre feeling that the one that read higher is right. I stuck my hand in quickly. I think after turning the eggs 4 times a day for 18 days, I can now tell the right temp to the degree! Of course I could be completely wrong and chilling the chicks at this very moment. Whatever. I have to sleep. Guaranteed I'll have incubator dreams all night.

I hope you resolve your thermometer difference.

Laura

Well I will send good hatching vibes to you for luck!
fl.gif
jumpy.gif
fl.gif

Here is a little something that might make you feel better. I was hatching with our feed store in their large incubator. Sportsman model. The weather changed, from heat to snow...the bator jumped temps...from 99 to 103 for several days. I figured the little ones were cooked. I read on a thread that when there is a temp spike, the eggs will need a day or two more to hatch. Lost alot of babies, but some actually did hatch. That batch of eggs had three different temp spikes for days.

Good luck.

That *does* make me feel better. We had a heat spike a while ago, brief but high. But somehow the little guys kept on going. I'd hate to lose them now!

Oddly, it's the mercury thermometer that came with it that's been the most troublesome. The thermometers are side by side, but one side was more humid than the other. I hope that was the problem. I can't believe the sleep I'm losing over a dozen eggs.

Friday was day 20 for me. Woke up early and checked the bator and the temp had jumped to 104.6 over night!!! Took me all day to get it steady at 99.5...they finally all hatched although late on day 21 and into day 22. Don't worry, the little guys are tougher than we think
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom