Oh gosh....

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by crayon, Jul 8, 2011.

1. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    The girls (and two fellas) keep escaping- I *think* they are jumpin the perch and then going onto the enclosed run then flying over... Anyway- we went to feed them today and only 9 of the 10 were there- our most prized and loved pullets was missing.... ARE YOU KIDDING ME?? We searched high and low- but the flock really sticks together- even when they escape. Nothing.

Then 2 hours later- the dog (who is a bird dog) bring the dead chick (6 weeks) to the front walk way. AGHHHH................................

So- needless to say I must FIX this escaping issue- but I am not 100% sure where they are getting out from...

My daughter was crushed as this was her most special EEer. My husband said I had to order more- We wanted a bigger flock than 10 anyway and if we will loose some to "predictors" we need to have more in the flock.

I ordered 12 more (got me some partridge rocks- been drooling over those girlies)

But my question is are chickens naturally escape artist? I hear goats are horrible for escaping- but it seems my chickens are non stop! We have a 1200sqft dog run area that we have their coop in- I would prefer not to net the whole thing as it has lots of trees in it and lots of black berry bushes that they love to spend their day in. I like to keep it as open as possible (it does have a 4ft fence). But is there something else I should do- or is this just kinda a fact of nature?

We are just sad. I know it is his nature to get birds- but NOT THE CHICKENS! They are friend not foe- it seems no matter how much I told him- his dog ears leading to his dog brain just didn't process it! [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Kdub86

Kdub86 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 6, 2011
    Canberra, Australia
    Have you clipped they wings??

3. crayon

crayon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Hillman Michigan
    No.... Is that painful for them? And is it something I need to worry about at 6 weeks. I have seen them more hopping from one section to another. I think I am going to take that perch out this weekend.

I had to leave home tonight- but my friend who is watching them said they were ALL out of the fence when she got there tonight. My roo is always the last one to go in (after his girls) and I am so scared my dog will get him- he is such a sweet fella and I would be just grumpy and crushed if he killed him too...

4. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Here's How To Clip Wings from the BYC Learning Center.

Hope this is some help!

I free range our Bantams and have been fencing in gardens from them. It seems like the higher I make the fence, the higher they show me they can fly. [​IMG]

We've discussed clipping their wings but I'd rather they be able to fly and hopefully escape predators than not be able to fly at all. So, I'm currently working on a reconstruction of an old coop for my "problem" chickens. My 4 problem girls are turning into a full time job. [​IMG]

5. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

Quote:clipping wings only hurts their egos.. what you do is clip just the flight feathers off of ONE wing.. that throws their balance off if they try to fly.
    6 weeks is a little young for most breeds.. so it all depends on if you have seen them flying or not.. some breeds are a lot more prone to early flight (and getting into mischief because of it) than others

6. TheSitcomGirls

TheSitcomGirls Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2010
    Quote:Depends on the chicken!!! We have one chicken (Ethel) who is. She managed to get out of our fenced in area (4 foot fence) all of these ways:
    1. She flew out, we clipped a wing. All but the really fat chickens seem to be able to fly up five feet no problem.
    2. Climbed up the cross supports pieces of wood on the corners of the fence and then jumping out over the top.
    3. Hopped from a a tree branch to the top of a five foot high wooden fence and walked along the top of it until she could hop over.
    4. Climbed through holes in the trellis. I thought I had them all blocked off with netting...but I didn't. One was ripped. She poked her head through every one until she found one she could squeeze through.

After six months of her getting out every day we managed to block off everywhere she was getting out...then she was frantic to leave. We figured out why. I found about thirty or so eggs underneath the bush hog. She liked her private laying area I guess.

Everybody else seems content to stay where the food is!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by