Oh... I Shouldn't Have Yelled At Her...

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by PepsNick, Dec 27, 2010.

1. PepsNick

PepsNick Back to Business

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    We have an elderly relative staying with us right now, and she brought her 2 year old dog, Meg. Meg is a rescue and was abused in her last home. The relative being not in great health, can't train her. Meg certainly has some... issues. Well today she and my dog were "playing", but then Meg attacked Biscuit, started ripping his ears that are now bleeding and clawing up his back. We screamed at her and another relative got scared and jumped up, accidentally kicking Meg in the face. I was the only one who realized it, so the other relatives were running and shouting, getting Meg real wired up. She began running and I decided to put an end to it, so I screamed "STOP! BAD!" and everybody stopped and Meg ran to a corner. What else was I supposed to do? Run around and let her bite everyone while she growled? I'm the only one here who knows how to train a dog, but not troubled dogs. Anyways, luckily the relative with the dog is going home now anyway, but I do love that dog despite her troubles. She's a little fat and isn't very healthy and she hardly gets any attention. I am always playing with her and loving on her, when no one else does. And now I'm afraid that she hates me, and I was really her only friend. She's still in the corner now and I'm scared to comfort her, considering she might bite. Wait... now she's walking around with her rope and wants me to play with her. Well that was odd... but do you think she'll get scared again?

Please don't get this into an argument. Just tell me what I should do before she goes home.

2. happytxchick

happytxchick Egg Song Acre

Jul 8, 2009
    Sulphur Springs, TX
    Does the relative seem angry with you? If not, then no need to comment further. You know dogs are forgiving, so...

When in doubt about what to do in any situation: first, gauge the mood/attitude/etc of the other person/relative; second/follow the golden rule to do to them as you would have them do to you.

I'm sure it will all be fine.

Happy new year!

3. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Quote:No, the relative wasn't even in the room. This is the first time Meg's done something like THAT. The relative is supportive of us trying to work with her...

Happy New Year to you too and thanks for the help!

Last edited: Dec 27, 2010
  4. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Sounds like you took control of what could have become a VERY unpleasant situation. Meg has already gotten over it. I suggest you do the same. [​IMG]

5. mgw

mgw Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Eastern Wa.
    Sounds like the dog needs boundaries and discipline. You did it a favor.

6. drdoolittle

drdoolittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2010
    NE Indiana
    I agree with mgw----I don't think you did Meg any real harm, you simply let her know that her behavior was unacceptable. She ran to a corner, and when you didn't continue yelling or follow her and hit or kick her, she probably realised you weren't going to hurt her, you just wanted her to stop what she was doing. Sometimes it takes yelling or something like loud clapping to startle a dog and get their attention when they are caught up in the moment----that's all you did. I think you'll both be fine. Happy New Year!

7. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Thanks so much, you all. [​IMG] Glad I did it now.

8. PepsNick

May 9, 2010
    Egglanta, GA
    Just to let you all know, the dog's owner died in a car crash yesterday. So Meg will be spending the next few months with us.... woohoo.

9. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    pretend like nothing happened (next time), the dog will be fine! (Sorry to hear about the dogs owner)

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by