Oh my goodness (Silkie Broody Surprise) NEW PICS pg.6

clap.gif
what a cutie.

Quote:
Ain't it the truth. Day 10 with my EE and I am just pacing. Candled at 4:00 am this morning. Glad you found your hen also. It is awful when they disappear and you can find them. I have 1 that is a bit of a magician too. She has never been gone more than 2 days though and no chick surprices.

Congrats!!!

Okay, here's the deal.
If you want all the eggs to hatch you will have to take all the hatched babies out & put them in a box under a light. If you don't, she may decide that she's hatched out enough and will leave the nest. As the other ones hatch take them out too.

She won't stay on the nest longer than 2 days once they start hatching. She knows that they need to eat. Actually they really don't need to eat or drink for a couple of days anyway. That's how the hatcheries can ship day-old chicks.

Now your problem is that chicken eggs hatch after 21 days and duck eggs hatch at 28-33 days. Are you sure you have ducks & drakes? If you want to try to get ducks too you must put the chicks back under the hen every night and take them out early in the morning. Sometimes the hen only likes certain chicks & will kill anything that doesn't look right to her. Watch her carefully & remove any babies that are being picked on and raise them in a box.

After 33 days if the ducks haven't hatched, take all the eggs out one night and put the hatched babies underneath with food and water close by. The next day, put the hen with her babies in a small mesh cage in the chicken house so the other hens won't hurt the babies or if there isn't room, find another place to put her and her babies. They all need to be reintroduced when the chicks are bigger.

Good luck with this!

Last edited:
aww how cute!!i woudl leave them with her unless you think somethign ealse will hurt them.She will keep them warm and you got food and water so unless there is another threat i would leave them.

yes i agree with the duck egg hatchign longer however i have had silkies stay and hatch guniea eggs even after the chicken eggs have hatched so its just a choice you have to make.keep an eye on her and send more pictures

If you want her to hatch the ducks, either you need to put those eggs in an incubator or take the chicks away from her. Duck eggs (mostly) take 28 days to hatch, and chickens only take 21. So the ducks would still have a week to go, unless they had been brooded a bit before.

When I was a kid taking riding lessons, one of the stable chickens went broody. There weren't any roos around so the owners wanted to replace her eggs with fertile eggs. Well, the only fertile eggs to be had were duck eggs. The hen hatched and raised them just fine. She did go a bit nuts when her "chicks" jumped into the tiny little stream that ran across the barnyard for a swim. She was squawking like crazy and the ducklings were like "What's the problem?"!

Swamp

Back
Top Bottom