Oh my gosh, I think I have a house chicken!

NoseyChickens

Feathers On The Ground
10 Years
Aug 3, 2009
Southern California
I have three 8 week old chickens that I moved outside over a week ago. They are fully feathered and it's warm out here in the desert. They are 2 bantam buff rock boys and one bantam polish named Billy Idol (I am thinking it's a pullet). A few days ago I was making the rounds checking on the birds, filling food and water for everyone, (They are in their own giant cage away from the big birds) and low a behold the buff rocks pecked the heck out of Billy Idol. Poor thing had a bloody blad patch on the top of her noggin. So I brought her inside and put her in a dog crate. She is all healed up and even growing back her feathers already. But I didnt want to put her back out with the boys for fear they would do it again.

Now my chicken OBSESSED DD age 8 has taken a liking to Billy and has asked if it could be her chicken. "Sure! Why not?" I say. Now DD has taken to bringing Billy with her everywhere she goes. Billy spends most of her day perched on a doll bed in the play room or on my daughters shoulder while she walks around talking like a pirate. She loves Billy and poor Billy was all alone so I thought why not?

But then DH and I got to thinking, will this little bird ever want to go outside? Will Billy just be really friendly and happy to see DD in the yard, or will this little bird have a hard time getting used to being with other birds. Should I stop DD from pampering this chick? I really have no desire to have a house chicken.

Billy Idol
38307_billy.jpg

Bald Billy
38307_baldbilly.jpg

Billy and DD
38307_billyandbean.jpg

Thanks! Makes it all that much harder to say "Put that chicken back" The first chicken that was "hers" was killed by our dog, who we rehomed. She was so distraught she didnt make it to school that day.

Quote:
yuckyuck.gif
Pretty sure! LOL she just asked me if the dang thing could sleep with her. She even tried to bargin with me and just get me to move the cage in her room.

Back
Top Bottom