Oh my! I am getting Peas!

WestKnollAmy

The Crazy Chicken Lady
Apr 22, 2008
upstate SC
Hello everyone,
I suppose you all will see me here some in coming months as I post a bit about my new peas. I was lucky enough to "inherit" 3 adult pair, 2 silver pied pairs and one Oaten pair. I am trying to convince my friend to build a pen at her house and take the Oaten pair. They are lovely but I have a farm full and the silver pieds are really the coloring I love.
love.gif

I will post photos as soon as I bring them home. Right now we have only started clearing the space to build the pens, though this past Sat. my dear friends helped me bring home the 8x16 ft 2 section peachick brooder pen. I figure we can use it while we are building their new pens from what we are tearing down from their old home.

Here is phase one of Operation Peacock! (As my friend, Dixiebeast here on BYC, calls it)

Yes, that is a turkey inspecting the top of the pen. They are always into EVERYTHING! The others are behind it and the Great Pyrenees is watching the woods for varmints.

This coming Sat. we go into phase 2 of Operation Peacock where we tear down the old fencing, posts and pens where the previous owner had them and move everything over to my place and rebuild the large pens for them. I could not do this without the help of some really great friends driving an hour and a half up here every weekend and some weekdays to help me clear land and do all this work. Gee, I am one lucky gal!
ya.gif

I don't suppose your friends would come to ND to help me?
big_smile.png

Congratulations!!! I really love peas...

I am really tickled my friends drive up here to help me now! But they came back in April when a horrible hail storm hit my farm and caused massive destruction to my coops and roofs. They spent a whole day helping me clean up. They really are the best!

I have always wanted peas but did not want the initial investment since I had not really researched them. Then another local friend had his breeding partner to pass away last year and he wants these birds to go to a good home. He knew I loved them and he lives only a few miles from me so can drop by and check if he wants to. I am excited to have this opportunity!
celebrate.gif

I was trying to down size but recently people have been giving me hens and the peafowl. I am not sure how lucky I am once I have to feed them! LOL I am sure we will manage somehow.
I will post photos of them once I get them home. They are not in pens that I can easily photograph them right now.

I am really tickled my friends drive up here to help me now! But they came back in April when a horrible hail storm hit my farm and caused massive destruction to my coops and roofs. They spent a whole day helping me clean up. They really are the best!

I have always wanted peas but did not want the initial investment since I had not really researched them. Then another local friend had his breeding partner to pass away last year and he wants these birds to go to a good home. He knew I loved them and he lives only a few miles from me so can drop by and check if he wants to. I am excited to have this opportunity!
celebrate.gif
This is such an awesome story. Hope all the peas are settling in. They are so much fun to watch. Glad you could join us.
hugs.gif

Photos of the silver pied pairs.
I do not know the genetic background of these birds as the original owner has passed away and his breeding partner is trying to find any info on them. The widow knows nothing about the birds either so this may be an experience!

This guy looks to have yellow under his eye.

And his lady with him.....

And the 2nd pair outside......

I did not get any photos of the other pair that I believe are Oaten or Opal. Hard for me to tell as I am a newbie and the guy could not remember the name of them. The more I research, the more I think they are Opal.
And he may have a Bronze pair for me, too.

I gotta get to building more pens!

Thank you. I have so much more to learn.
I keep trying to read everything I can find on all the websites. There are some really good informative ones out there. And I have a great mentor so I will continue to gather info to make sure I take the best care possible of these lovely fowl.

Back
Top Bottom