Oh my neighbors are gonna love this one...

nyice

Songster
10 Years
Jun 20, 2009
LI, New York
Ok, I know I've seen this on here but I just have to post this. I have a flock of 6 chickens. I know they are all hens because they have all layed eggs for us. We now have 4 chicks with a broody hen as well. The past two days one of our cochins (who I think maybe cochin/wyandotte) has been making horrible noises. Best way to explain it is a rooster crowing with marbles in its mouth. The first time was in the after noon. We let the girls out to free range a little and she starting making this noise and ran under a bush. I thought that maybe she was warning the others of a hawk. She did this again last night when it started getting dark and again when I let her out this morning. Could she really be crowing? My neighbor is sure to complain about this one.
roll.png

ok im no expert but i also have a black cochin and i have heard her crow loud at times. I have 8 hens that free range most of the day and if everyone leaves to do there own thing and my cochin gets left out well oh boy she gets very upset and crows very loud until she finds the others. so in my eyes and ears yes cochins crow. hope you have friendly neighbors like me they dont mind.

She may just be turning into the alpha hen. Some say that a female will become more dominant over the flock-kinda like a roo. Before I had a roo, I noticed one of my hens getting real bossy with everybody else, cackling and carrying on like mad. You may have one of those types of girls in your midst
sad.png

The strange part is that at night she is the only one who does not roost. She stays on the floor infront of the closed door. She has always made strange noises that sound more like a goose than a chicken and has made other chickens back down from food. If she has become the alpha hen, will she continue to make this crowing type noise? I have friendly neighbors, all except one who has been battling with us about a tree. He won and we are taking a "live and healthy" tree down but if he would call the town about a tree, I have no doubt that he will be calling about our crowing hen.

Last edited:
Well if you're in an area where you're "allowed" to have hens then I wouldn't worry about it at all. You are complying...and you can prove she's a she. Neighbors like that really make ya' stop and wonder where along the way people began to feel they had the right to "control" others and could do something about it. It's sad. I would guess that she will continue to do this. I don't know for a fact, however, but that's my opinion. Mine stopped when I got a roo, but it sounds like that just isn't an option.

I hope your neighbors butts out.

We have never gotten a real answer from code enforcement. Before we got our chickens we called them. We have another neighbor two doors down who has chickens. So either we are both rebels or we are allowed. Neither one of us know. When I moved in 7 years ago, there was a neighber one street over who had chickens and roos but I know a roo is a not allowed here. So will the town be on my side? I have no idea. I really need to move to the country. My pain in the a** neighbor had the nerve to ask one of my other neighbors to move the foundation of their garage a foot, lol. I just hope she quiets down.

Last edited:
Why can't people mind their own affairs? I would find out for sure if you can have chickens and while your at it, go ahead and find out if about the rooster. Either way, I would borrow a rooster for a couple of weeks or so just to give your neighbor something to do!! tee-hee!
lol.png

Too funny. We will hopefully be done with the tree buisiness on the 13th. That is the day it comes down. Is it bad that for a while I was hoping it would fall on his house. Oh and she did not do her weird crowing thing last night. Could the babies we have in with our hens be causing this sudden change of behavior for her? She is not the broody hen, but we just started to slowly introduce them all.

duc.gif
Wouldn't it be nice IF you could sell the neighbors, and KEEP your chickens?
gig.gif

The chickens are much nicer!
hugs.gif
D.gif

Some neighbors,
rant.gif
well, it would be nice to coop some far out of sight ~ & sound-distance!

Back
Top Bottom