Oh my, someone at the lake lectured me on feeding the ducks. . .

I know that sometimes I might come across as lecturing people when I confront them about their kids throwing rocks at the ducks. But, I don't come up to just any parent with a kid and start lecturing when they're not doing anything wrong. Not all kids throw rocks at the ducks and not all parents ignore it when they do.

Last edited:
Quote:
See what I mean! That's exactly how I felt, like he had no idea who I was or what I know.

If it was a staff member at the lake, then that's another issue, but this was just some guy who showed up there to ride his bike.

yeah, it was just some old lady walking with her dog. and i said "im sorry, but what do you know about me? and what I know?" and she said "well, you look way to young to be working with animals and i would like it if you stoped trying to chase that goose!" i wasnt chasing it, i was following it
somad.gif
PEOPLE make me so mad!

Oh man I hate it when people just assume that b/c I’m not grown up that I don’t know what I’m doing or what I’m saying, hello you don’t know me, you don’t know if I know something or not, for example: they can’t possible know how many books I’ve read about cattle or that my family has raised them for yrs yet I have had people act like I was a fruitcake until they realized I knew what I was talking about or people not knowing how many yrs I’ve been raising chickens yet people have assumed that since I’m young I can’t possible have any experience. Makes me so made, come on people at least try to get to know me before you treat me like I’m stupid b/c I’m young

Wait until you get to be my age and they do it to you. I don't lecture 20 year olds, for example, I assume they are old enough to know better.

Last edited:
A few weeks ago I was visiting a friend in a large country town- in the middle of the town is a huge lake- a nice family area - bbqs and playground equipment for kids. It sadly is also a place people dump ducks.

On my way home I stopped to see who may have been there at that particular time.

There are no signs saying not to feed the birds- and many people take their children there just for doing so. I saw a fellow taking photos and throwing some kind of biscuit at them. I sat down with my small bags of poultry feed I had brought from home. Soon those ducks were all over me!! Even a swan came right up close. One drake did the head vibrating thing they do and ended up with his head over my shoulder and standing in my lap. These birds are obviously someones pet at some stage- and also obviously hadnt eaten any really decent food in a very long time.

Darlene...since you have been told off for feeding when you werent...you should now feed them once ( good food only of course ) to make up for being wrongly accused..
lau.gif

Seriously though- where is the harm in throwing a few morsels to some birds- as long as the food provided is not the usual bread and fillers people do throw. A law is a law- and if the birds shouldnt be fed.
sad.png
sad for the people that they are not allowed to enjoy one of lifes simple pleasures- but in some cases the food thrown really isnt providing a healthty diet for those eating it. But for a man to tell you off for doing something you didnt do- thats just plain rude. If he had on a uniform and a badge saying Park Ranger- then he may have been giving a badly directed reminder.

Sorry that your time with the birds today ended that way with that jerk Darlene.

Glad there aren't any of those signs up around here. I grew up feeding the ducks at the park and to lose that would ruin it for future generations. I never throw bread, but I still love feeding at the park.

Sometimes it's best to just walk away and not say anything at all, especially if the man talking to you was older than you. I don't care how old you are, elders are elders after all.

He probably wasn't lecturing you, but just making sure you knew about it. After all, your friend did start feeding them after you left and probably had the bread in plain sight while you were talking to them, so honest mistake. Even if you are a regular at the park, it doesn't mean that no one can talk to you about it.

Admittedly he was sort of rude, but who's to say he didn't later talk to your friend about it and that he wasn't just trying to keep you out of trouble in his own way, similar to you talking to those who throw rocks at the ducks.

I often get comments like these from people and I always just excuse them for saying it because mostly they just didn't know I knew.

My friend actually didn't have bread, he had scratch and other poultry food and he had it in a small, plain sack. You wouldn't know he had it if you didn't look. Plus, he's really subtle about feeding the birds. I know for a fact that he didn't talk to my friend because my friend left before he did and I left after the man did and stayed in the same area the whole time and saw everything that guy did. The birds are really friendly there and come up to everyone, almost. I have known most of the birds there since they were babies, too, so they gather around me. It doesn't mean I'm feeding them.

I'm sorry if I offend anyone and I do believe in respecting your elders, but age isn't an excuse for being a jerk. I am older than a lot of people, but it doesn't give me a right to be rude and obnoxious to younger people and I won't accept or excuse people's behavior solely because they aged.

Funny thing is that I had some frozen peas that I found and thought of bringing them, but I forgot.

Back
Top Bottom