Oh my, someone at the lake lectured me on feeding the ducks. . .

desertdarlene

Crowing
11 Years
Aug 4, 2010
San Diego
And I pretty much never feed them at all!

I was at the lake, taking photos when a friend who likes to feed the ducks came up and we started talking. As I walked away, my friend began feeding the geese as he has always done for years. He doesn't feed them that much.

This older guy came up and started lecturing me about how it was illegal to feed the birds and it's not healthy to feed them. I told him I wasn't feeding the birds and that law was actually a hunting regulation, anyway. But, I still wasn't feeding the birds. He continued to tell me about how bad it was for the birds. I said, all I was doing was standing there and he said he assumed I was feeding them because I was talking to my friend (who wasn't feeding them at the time I was talking to him). I told him that I don't say anything to people about feeding because they're going to do what they're going to do plus he's an adult and I shouldn't have to tell him what to do. I said I've been going there for over 20 years and I almost never feed them and my friend has been feeding them for years and has donated money to the park, etc.

He walked away and said "well you're not supposed to be feeding the birds!".

I couldn't believe it because everyone knows I don't feed the birds, but I often hang around others who do so that I can get pictures and make a visual examination of the ducks there to make sure that they're all OK. I don't usually feed the birds because so many other people do feed them, despite all the "no feeding" signs. I was really offended that he felt that he had to lecture me when I am well aware of the issues of feeding the birds. He must have been new to the area because if he came there regularly, he would see that I don't do any feeding.

One thing I wonder, though, is why didn't he talk to my friend about the issue instead of me? I know I talk to the geese and ducks, but that doesn't mean I feed them.

I would just forget about it. You know you were not feeding them and why is it any of his business anyhow? Some folks can't mind their own business.
hmm.png

Yeah, I just thought it was weird that he did that when there was no feeding going on at the time I was talking to my friend. I think I was mostly offended because he thought I was doing something that I feel strongly against and don't do. Plus, I love talking to my friends and I felt like I can't talk to my friends anymore if they feed the birds because somebody is going to start a fight with me.

I think he saw me as some young person whom he could "teach" something to. I'm middle aged, but maybe I looked younger. Plus, I was a woman and my friend was an older man.

Last edited:
He was probably afraid the man feeding the birds would chew him out for his unsolicited opinion. You, on the other hand, are a woman, therefore he felt entitled to lecture you. Burns me up! I would have told him to go and lecture someone who is actually feeding the birds and who might give a flip what his opinion is, because you don't!

People make me so mad sometimes....

I really am a civil person, this just rubbed me the wrong way.
tongue.png

Quote:
LOL, I just finished editing my post at the same time you posted.. I agree, I think that's what it was. Plus, I was a lot younger than him and the man I was with was older, perhaps his age or older. At least I didn't just lay back this time. Often, when people do stuff like this, I walk away and roll my eyes.

Last edited:
Quote:
Oooh, this is a great response!
Darlene, you know we so enjoy the pictures you share with us-don't let Mr. Blowhard bother you! You are not responsible for the actions of a person you are with!

people cant mind themselves and it drives me insane!
somad.gif
i would love to feed the mallards and geese at my park, but im not alowed over there because my mom thinks im gonna end up sneaking one home
tongue.png

there was once a Canadian goose at the park with a broken wing,and i tryed to get close enough to see what the problem was, but someone told me that i was gonna end up hurting it anyway because i know nothing about animals..... what the heck does he know about me?! really! lol! oh well. i just let it go...

Quote:
See what I mean! That's exactly how I felt, like he had no idea who I was or what I know.

If it was a staff member at the lake, then that's another issue, but this was just some guy who showed up there to ride his bike.

The short answer is that you are in San Diego.
sad.png
I left SD about 10 years ago and the last thing I miss is the people. They made me meaner.

Last edited:
Quote:
See what I mean! That's exactly how I felt, like he had no idea who I was or what I know.

If it was a staff member at the lake, then that's another issue, but this was just some guy who showed up there to ride his bike.

yeah, it was just some old lady walking with her dog. and i said "im sorry, but what do you know about me? and what I know?" and she said "well, you look way to young to be working with animals and i would like it if you stoped trying to chase that goose!" i wasnt chasing it, i was following it
somad.gif
PEOPLE make me so mad!

Back
Top Bottom