Oh my, the DUST!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Kristy in WA, May 1, 2009.

1. Kristy in WA

Kristy in WA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2009
    Eastern Washington
    I don't think I'll use my house as the brooder area again. I can't believe the amount of dust this is creating. It's gross. The chicks are in a big box. I can't wait for them to be able to go outside. Kristy

2. MNmommy

MNmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    central MN
    It is crazy how dusty it gets. Mine are almost 4 weeks old and my house is starting to smell "ripe"! I have 2 chicks that are pooping that nasty stinky cecal poop more often....yuck

3. c'mon eggs

c'mon eggs Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2009
    We just put our 5 wk old chicks out a few days ago (woohoo!), and I could hardly wait to get in the living room -- open up the windows for some fresh air -- and super vacuum! The dust was sooo gross and it was everywhere! The nice fresh air smell is just now starting to come back. lol

I guess putting the brooder in the living room wasn't my most well thought out plan. [​IMG]

4. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

I'm glad I shipped mine outside "early" hehehehe they were just starting to make dust in here.

(Really, they seem SO happy outside I'm glad I did for their sake more than mine.)

5. wefroggy

wefroggy Chillin' With My Peeps

I brooded mine on my enclosed porch that also had all of my quilt fabric, in and out of boxes. I don't think i will ever get all the dust out. Ugh, I couldn't wait to get them outside in their own house. Live and learn.

6. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I keep mine in the basement with hubbys wood workshop LOL! Not a good idea either because both wood and chicken do not mix LOL.

Its a pain in the butt if you ask me!

7. MTChick2009

MTChick2009 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2009
    Montana
    What do you mean by dust? the little baby feathers? I am just wondering what I have in store for me! I have noticed more little chick fluff flying lately. I try to vacuum around the brooder often, the chicks dont seem to mind [​IMG]

8. djackjr

djackjr Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Graham Wa.
    My wife just read this and said chicks in the garage only... [​IMG]

9. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I've heard if you cover the top of the brooder with furnace filters that it cuts down on the dust significantly. Otherwise, I'm with you - they can brood outside with the mama hen!

10. HippieHomesteader

HippieHomesteader Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2009
    Stuart, VA
    After raising 16 chicks in the dining room for 3 1/2 weeks, I quickly shipped them out as soon as it was warm enough, and we've already made plans to give all future chickies to a broody! She can hatch and raise them better than me, I'm sure! I knew about all the dust, but now I KNOW about all the dust, and I won't do it again! Cute and safe, yes. Dusty and stinky, yes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by