Oh My!

sussexgal

Songster
11 Years
Jul 25, 2008
Adirondack Foothills, NY
I was out and about yesterday. At one of my stops, there was a horse trailor with chicken noises coming out of it. I couldn't resist a peek at what might be making the clucking sounds. Around the back of the trailor and peering in the crack in the tailgate.... I've never seen cornishx meaties before, but these had to be them! There were about 20 birds.... complete with feeders and waterers. Baby Hueys... sparsely feathered. Most laying down but a few laboring to walk around... now I see why some folks call them frankenbirds! I was both amazed and taken aback at the same time. So plumped up they had difficulty handling their own weight but at the same time curious and bright eyed.... I had been toying with the idea of getting some meaties for the freezer next spring.... Hmmm.... thinking maybe not now. I see broilers advertised.... anyone who has raised both? How do the two compare to each other? If cornishx are allowed to run about a bit, do they experience that need to lay down all the time? I guess I'm just unsettled is all.... any opinions from all you wonderful BYC folks?

I've been thinking about getting some in the spring as well. My neighbor down the street had some this spring and I had the same reaction to them. I'm worried that I'll get them and then feel guilty that they can't run around like my RIRs and I won't be able to eat them
sad.png
Don't get me wrong, I'm don't consider myself overly sensetive, I hunt and fish and I understand the food chain, but I think I'll still feel sorry for them.

Yes that was it! I did feel sorry for them.... I'm not squemish either - or at least would like to think I'm not.... it is the quality of life that sticks in my head when I think of the x's now.... Michigan Man - you have RIRs! We had them as kids growing up - 4H projects. Lots of beautiful eggs and quite a few tastey dinners. There were some at the Eastern NY Poultry Show this past weekend.... beautiful birds. Nice choice you made.

I have a 2 and a 7 yr. old who do the walking for my cornishx.

They pick them up and carry them from place to place...out in the sun, under the cherry tree....and most of them can get around...they just choose not to....or 3 steps to the feeder and sit. ha ha.

I've only had those and bared rock so far so I can't tell ya how they compare to the boilers you mention. but i like them over bared rock...the taste that is. bared rock are nice layers and pretty too.

me,
g

Back
Top Bottom