Oh no, did I just ruin my eggs forever with these meds?

Jan 13, 2024
I was given a medication by my fellow chicken friend that contains: Sulfamethoxypyridezine, Trimethoprim, Bromhexine, Hydrochlonide, Tylosin, Tetracycline Hydrochloride and Sodium phenylbutazone. She told me to wait 2 weeks for using their eggs. They had it in their water for 5 days to treat respiratory illness. I went back to read more about these medications and found out that some of these are not safe for egg-laying birds. Anyone been through this? What a hard lesson! I feel so stupid for trusting her at face value. Please do not shred me too much! I post this as a warning and to seek any info that this group may have. Thank you for your collective wisdom.

Thank you for the welcome! I've now spent hours trying to read anything I can to see if my girls will ever have safe eggs. It seems that for a few of the meds in the combo the answer may be no. I've learned a lot as I've gone through this and am thinking that what I learned about keeping chickens from my childhood was much more limited than I thought. At the very least my girls are happy and healthy right now.

Thank you for the welcome! I've now spent hours trying to read anything I can to see if my girls will ever have safe eggs. It seems that for a few of the meds in the combo the answer may be no. I've learned a lot as I've gone through this and am thinking that what I learned about keeping chickens from my childhood was much more limited than I thought. At the very least my girls are happy and healthy right now.
It takes 2 weeks for most things to run their course. Like Ivermectin for instance has a 10-day or 2-week egg withdrawal. Some dewormers or antibiotics I've seen 9 or 10 days or as much as 28. I've never heard of anything that could taint the eggs forever.

It appears to have the same active ingredients as this one
https://allbirdproducts.com/products/respiratory-soluble-powder
It is clearly stated in red at the top of the label that this product is "Not for food producing animals"
Producers don't put that on the label for no reason.
Medicines have impacts; I'm sure you wouldn't give a healthy person chemotherapy. If/when they work, it's because they are toxic to some cells in the body; they kill them. They do not discriminate between good bacteria and bad bacteria, and they can do more harm than good. The warning on the label suggests there is a long-lasting harm that can be passed on, in the products produced by the animal fed this medication, to the consumer.

Just relax, since most of those medications are sometimes used to treat sick birds for some respiratory diseases and or coccidiosis. Did you treat all of your hens or just a couple? Sulfa antibiotics (Bactrim, SMZ-TMP) can be in the eggs for a month, Tylosin has no egg withdrawal for oral use, tetracycline withdrawal is 2-3 weeks, and there is a mucolytic medicine plus an anti-inflammatory medicine. A month should be fine to wait to use those eggs.

In the future, make sure to get a single medicine to use. Tylosin, again with no egg withdrawal for oral use, would work very well to treat symptoms of MG. Coryza usually is treated with sulfa. Never treat the whole flock, but only treat a bird with symptoms. Many of those pigeon medicines use a combination of drugs that just are not necessary. If you post here with the symptoms you are seeing, we can help you with medicines. If the disease is a virus, no antibiotics may be necessary. If you ever lose a chicken to a disease, save some money and get a necropsy done by your state vet to see what they have.

Back
Top Bottom