Oh no, I have a broody

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by sumi, Sep 13, 2012.

1. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    That would normally be a good thing, but we're moving in a few weeks and I have to rehome 30 chickens already. That's going to be hard enough without a few fluff balls added to the bunch... I have a new home lined up for them already and I'm sure their new owner won't mind a few extras, but I'm in 2 minds here. Should I break her or let him have a few chicks as well?

2. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Overrun With Chickens

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
    Aww, let her hatch some babies... Who knows, you could keep the babies if you are allowed... =)

3. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    I'm weak and give my broodies eggs. And I've had 8 broodies so far this year.

4. blueeyeddemon

blueeyeddemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2012
    South Texas
    [FONT=verdana, arial, sans-serif]"Currently the keeper of 25+ chickens, 7 dogs, 1 brazilian opossum, 3 rats, 1 parakeet, 1 ball python, 1 hedgehog, an aquarium of tropical fish......" WOW!!!!! Didn't realize you had that many pets :) Cool!![/FONT]

5. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    The only problem is we're moving abroad in a month... Saying goodbye to my chickens is going to be very hard, since I hatched and raised all but one of them and I'm terribly fond of them. So adding chicks to the bunch might make we want to stay LOL. I love love love chicks!
    I phoned my friend who's taking them and asked him if he wants to take the broody so long, with the eggs I didn't have the heart to take from her. He's coming round later. So he and she will get their chicks. Oh, couldn't she wait a few more weeks? *sigh*

6. awwww...I'm sorry.... but at least you know the little fluffy butts will be loved and cared for like they should be.

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    They will! He loves chickens as much as I do. He came a took the broody with her eggs this morning. 2 casualties, but he's got more eggs to give her when she settles down.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by